Author Topic: (John) Clifford Knight  (Read 2166 times)

Offline littlebootsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
(John) Clifford Knight
« on: Friday 15 June 12 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I'm struggling to find a death certificate for my great grandad Clifford Knight.

Everyone in my family has always referred to him as Clifford, and he's on my Nan and Grandads marriage certificate as Clifford Knight, although he married my Great Grandma Eva Poskitt in 1928 as John Clifford Knights.

My Aunty said that Clifford's mum was Florrie, which makes me think I've found him on the 1911 census with John Thomas Knights, Florrence Knights and siblings, aged 2.. So he was probably born around 1908, if this is the right one!?

I know that Cliffords 1st marriage didn't last and Eva started a relationship with her polish lodger, Wladyslaw Kraj (Uncle Walter as my mum called him) and although Eva didn't re-marry, I'm led to believe that Clifford re-married someone called Pearl (unsure of her surname).

I can't find the marriage record of Clifford/John Clifford and Pearl, I've just done a wild search on marriages but I feel like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack without her surname. My mum says that Pearl was roughly the same age as Clifford's daughter Sylvia who was born in 1928.

I can't find his death record either, but I have no idea when he died... I know he died before Eva (they remained friends even after their marriage broke down) and Eva died in 1982.

Could someone please help me locate his death entry? Or would I need more information? I'm guessing I'd need his marriage certificate to determine if the 1911 census entry is actually him!

Thank you in advance :)

EDIT - I forgot to mention... As far as I'm aware, all these events, birth/marriage/birth of children happened in Pontefract, or around this area, except for when my Nanna Joyce was born, as she was born in Mansfield I believe.
Botcherby - Durham
Dawson - South Yorkshire

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: (John) Clifford Knight
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 12 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A John Clifford Knight, born 3/9/1908 died in Selby Reg District Q/E Dec 1978 -- I wonder if that could be him?

I cannot find a marriage to a 'Pearl' at the moment, but maybe they didn't actually marry. If they didn't marry - then her death may have been recorded under her own name.

Regards June
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline littlebootsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: (John) Clifford Knight
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 12 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Over the Pennines,

This could be him. Selby is just the other side of the a19 from Pontefract. So it's a massively possibility.

I've asked my mum, she seems to think it could fit but I'm lead to believe now that although Eva remained friends with him no one else in the family liked him and called him a dirty pervert because he ran off with someone the same age as his eldest daughter!

Sounds like he was a lovely man! Haha.

I'll order that death cert, it's only £9 odd lost if its not him, but if it is i at least have his birthday to go forward with then :)

Thank you :-)
Botcherby - Durham
Dawson - South Yorkshire