Author Topic: William FULFORD b 1803 - father William b 1772  (Read 6733 times)

Offline smithkei

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William FULFORD b 1803 - father William b 1772
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 October 21 17:21 BST (UK) »
I just started looking at this family as Sally Fulford, who I believe changed her name to Sarah, is my 3rd Great Grandmother. She married into the Prowse family.

I found a different entry for William and Esther in 1841 in Kingsteignton where again he is a schoolmaster.

Registration districtNewton AbbotSub-registration districtNewton AbbotNeighborsView others on pagePiece253Book25Folio5Page number4Household members
NameWilliam FulfordAge65Esther FulfordAge65

I too had seen the info about him being a POW and you are right the gap in the children’s births would confirm that, thanks for that.

Like others I can’t go back further than William and Esther.

Offline smithkei

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William FULFORD b 1803 - father William b 1772
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 April 23 12:18 BST (UK) »
Red. You asked about why the family moved to Sheffield. William had a sister Sarah who married Clement Prowse. One of her sons George was the first from this Prowse family to move to Sheffield and later her other son and my 2nd Great Grandfather Clement. I don’t know why. In Devon they were all involved in the wood industry. Shipbuilding, timber merchants, joiners. That industry went into depression when iron ships came along. I imagine a lot of the tools they used were from Sheffield so the place would be familiar to them. William seemed to make the move a few years prior to the Prowses so I think he gave them the idea