Author Topic: Abraham Firth in England pre transportation  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Abraham Firth in England pre transportation
« on: Saturday 16 June 12 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm hoping there are descendant's of Abraham's daughter Elizabeth who are able to share some insight on his life prior to his arrest and transportation to Tasmania in 1842.  I think his wife was Sarah and their daughter Elizabeth was born c 1837.
He was arrested for stealing 26 sovereigns along with his brother Joseph Priestly Firth and Joseph's defacto.
Aby
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham Firth in England pre transportation
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 June 12 17:36 BST (UK) »
Can you pin him down a bit more for us?     Date of birth?  Where did he live?   I can find a family in 1841 in Huddersfield  HO107 1276 4/6 4
Abraham 25
Rebecca 25
Elizabeth 5
Emma 3
Frances 1
They are living with the Smith family.  Abraham is a coal miner.  The last two kids are over the page so it is possible you did not notice them.

Andrea

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 12 19:33 BST (UK) »
Both Abraham and Joseph Priestley Firth are shown on the Criminal Register records on Ancestry.

Joseph's birth year is shown as c)1812 and Abraham's as c)1815. In between these 2 men on the register is an Alice Priestley - wonder if she was connected with the crime?

I am mentioning this in case the birth years help with tracing their baptisms etc.

Regards June
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 June 12 20:57 BST (UK) »
Alice Priestly (23), Joseph Priestly (30,alias Firth) and Abraham Firth (27) comitted an offence in Wakefield. Reported in Leeds Intelligencer 16 April 1842
Joseph transported 15 yrs, the other two 10 years.

regards

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 June 12 07:15 BST (UK) »
Yes you have the correct person, and yes the other 2 were transported as well.
Alice later married in Tasmania, and I guess went on to raise a brood of children -I wonder if she left children behind in England?
Joseph was sent to Maria Island for his bad behaviour and around 1853 absconded, and from what I have so far managed to find doesn't appear to have been recaptured. 
Abraham received his ticket of freedom in 1853 and quickly left Tasmania for Victoria.
I had miss the younger children on the census, actually it is the 1851 census that I had found Sarah and Elizabeth.   Sarah had 'remarried' and Elizabeth was listed as Elizabeth Firth and I don't remember seeing the younger children, maybe they had died in the intervening years?
Gives me some new leads to follow up on, may prove interesting either way.
I am yet to decide if Abraham was a willing participant in his brothers crime or the unsuspecting patsy in it all.
According to Abraham's death registration in Australia his profession as a cloth weaver.    Something he never did in Australia, it's not sure how much truth there is in a lot of the information that has been carried through the following generations.   To put it politely the truth was never allowed to stand in the way of a good story.  It seems a lot of both Abraham's and his Australian wife Mary's history was sanitised to overlook that he had been a convict or when Mary actually arrived into Australia.
In regard to actual birthdates and parents names - allegedly his father was also Abraham Firth, mothers name unknown, and we had thought he was born c1813 the actually date unknown.   Still looking for any information that will expand on this.   The 1841 census will be worthy of a closer examination.  Thank you all.
Aby
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 June 12 11:07 BST (UK) »
It would be worth looking at parish registers for his baptism.  I did see one, son of Abraham at about the right time yesterday but was waiting to see where he came from and stupidly forgot to note it.  Maybe on Familysearch?  Coal miner to cloth weaver is an odd progression so I am not convinced yet by the 1841 census.  Can you quote the 1851 for us?
There are numerous people called Priestly Firth - must be connected somehow.
Andrea