Author Topic: O'Brien Ballybacon  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Aboreal Addict

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Brien Ballybacon
« on: Saturday 16 June 12 16:06 BST (UK) »
According to John's attestation   he was born  in about July 1862 in Ballybacon parish.   He attested at Duncarion? Father Micheal and mother Bridget   there were two younger brothers Micheal and David.
I am trying to find a baptism for John initially and also details about his parents.

Thanks Wendy
Barrow  Cumberwoth/ Hepworth W. Yorks.
Graham Huddersfield
Harper  Hunts and  Cambs
Meadows Northants
Bond Marlyebone
Brassington  Caverswall Staffs
Eaton family Colwich Staffs.
O'Brien Tipperary     And Stephenson  Melling  in Lonsdale area

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: O'Brien Ballybacon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 June 12 16:22 BST (UK) »
where your O'Brien's RC ?

Ballybacon is the name of a Civil or Church of Ireland parish, in the south west of Co. Tipperary and on the border with Co. Waterford. Civil parishes rather than townlands are commonly recorded as place of origin on Military records. The corresponding RC parish was Ardfinnan with was also the principle town in the area. I dont see any town or townland named Duncarion or similar in the parish...

Historic RC records for Ardfinnan parish are available in the National Library on microfilm Pos. 2457
and cover baptisms back to about 1809, and marriages back to 1814, although there are some details missing for the 1820s.

Transcripts for this parish appear to be available on the pay-website at RootsIreland.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 12 16:30 BST (UK) »
is this the same O'Brien family as mentioned in your previous threads ?

O'Brien Ardfinnan parish
  Ardfinnan Marriage
  O'Brien's
  O'Brien Ballybacon Cahir Clonmel
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Aboreal Addict

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 June 12 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,  Thanks for your reply, Yes it is the same family as before  and they were RC,   but I have now received the army papers,  I wanted to make sure that Bally bacon and Ardfinnan were consistant
So I should check the Ardfinnan parish records which should be at  the national library ?
Wendy
Barrow  Cumberwoth/ Hepworth W. Yorks.
Graham Huddersfield
Harper  Hunts and  Cambs
Meadows Northants
Bond Marlyebone
Brassington  Caverswall Staffs
Eaton family Colwich Staffs.
O'Brien Tipperary     And Stephenson  Melling  in Lonsdale area

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 June 12 16:47 BST (UK) »
It's better to keep a query to just one thread and update it if you have new clues or search results, that way you keep all the details together, and it saves on people carrying out duplicate research.

As well as the previous replies & searches, there's details in the other threads that would have been useful to know - e.g. Bridget's maiden name, Ardfinnan parish , Cahir etc..

Shane
My Surname Interests