Author Topic: USS Casa Grande. Malta 1968  (Read 947 times)

Offline Black Night

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Wife's Cat Guinness
    • View Profile
USS Casa Grande. Malta 1968
« on: Saturday 16 June 12 22:44 BST (UK) »
I've always wondered what happened to some US Marines I and my mates met in Malta  summer 1968.  My father was in the Royal Air Force serving in Malta  We lived at Kalafrana south west of the Island. One day in that hot summer a landing craft from the USS Casa Grande came to our bay. We soon befriended the Marines on the craft. To a bunch of young 12 year old boys it was a dream come true. We invited them  into our homes went to the pictures with them and over two weeks had a great time. I know they were on route to Vietnam and  would love to know how they got on. Sadly I don't remember any of their names.  If  anyone might know how I could find out any info it would be great. I have contacted sites regarding the Casa Grande and as of yet had no replies. At the time I and my pals had no real idea what these young brave men were going into . It was only a few weeks ago the name of the ship came back to me, hence why it's taken so long for me to ask the question BN

Offline andjo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: USS Casa Grande. Malta 1968
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 January 14 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Black Night.
Really good to read your bit on USS Casa Grande. I was not one of the marines but I was one of the young lads there when the landing craft arrived. Now if we are talking about the same time I was around six years old at the time and remember it like yesterday an almighty free for all scrap ensued with all us young uns  when the marines threw over some 24hr ration packs. My father was also serving in the RAF we used to come to Kalafrana every weekend we lived at Luqa. I lived in Malta from 1968 to 1971/2. Totally fantastic memories I went to school on Luqa.
Please feel free to get in touch you said you were twelve at the time this would make you six years older than myself so you would be around 56/7 now.
I did not realise until I read your piece that they would have been on their way to Vietnam.
All the best
Andy.