Author Topic: George Quilty  (Read 3315 times)

Offline djamesp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Quilty
« on: Sunday 17 June 12 03:15 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the family background of George Quilty, b. c1839, died 1910. Almost certainly from Kilrush, County Clare. Draper's assistant, Southhampton, 1861 Census; entered Methodist ministry c1864; to New Zealand March 1865; minister at Port Chalmers 1865-late 1867; possibly then to Tasmania (Launceston) but may have gone elsewhere, even US; general storekeeper Wellington NSW c1878-c1893; general storekeeper Bellambi NSW c1893-19..; died Granville, Sydney, 1910. He was married twice, while at Wellington NSW, to (1) Rebecca Kate/Kate Rebecca Parker c1862-1888, and (2) Emma P.Datson c1866-1901.
I believe he may have been the son of George Quilty and Catherine Brew.

Offline Gael Bew

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Quilty
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 March 13 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Greetings from Australia.
An article that appeared in The Argus newspaper (in Melbourne) on 30 March 1868 shows that a drapery partnership between a George Quilty and Anne Fitzpatrick ("Quilty & Co") was dissolved on 26 March 1868. The drapery was located in Lonsdale Street, Melbourne...probably at number 17.  Anne Fitzpatrick was the wife of Bartholomew Fitzpatrick; her maiden name was Anne Brew and she was a daughter of Francis and Mary Brew. Francis & Mary (nee Casey) Brew and most of their children migrated to Victoria - they arrived in 1854 - they were from County Clare and had lived in Kilrush for a number of years.  Anne Fitzpatrick (& 3 of her children) arrived in Victoria in 1858....she was sometimes referred to as Anna.
This George Quilty is possibly the one you seek.  If you aren't familiar with Australia's archived on-line newspapers, I commend the following site:-
www.trove.nla.gov.au
I hope this has been some help.
Kind regards and best wishes
Gael