Author Topic: Peter Burns  (Read 2547 times)

heaross

Peter Burns
« on: Sunday 17 June 12 16:15 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for Peter Burns, born 15/09/1857in Old Kilpatrick, Dunbarton, Scotland His Parents were Henry Burns and Margaret Treanor.
Henry and Margaret were married on 24/07/1857 in Dumbarton, on the 1861 census they are in Jarrow, Durham, England, Peter was 3 on the 1871 census he was 14 and living with his parents in Fisher Street in Walker, Northumberland.
There is no sign of him in the 1881 census with the rest of the family.
I found a mafrriage for a Peter Burns and a Mary Ann Wood in1879 District of Newcastle , I don't kmow if that is him or not, after that no sign of a Peter Burns in any of the other censuses which match him.
Could you help?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Burns
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 June 12 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

There is a Peter Burns age 24 born Scotland , iron ship plater , with wife Mary Ann Burns age 26 on the 1881 Census , living Byker Northumberland

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline kirkmichael

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Burns
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 June 12 19:46 BST (UK) »
Given the major shipbuilding industries on the Clyde and the Tyne, - a Google will provide many references to this being such in the latter area, - I'd have to put serious money on ev's 1881 census suggestion being the correct link.

As in many other industries, from the mid/late 1800s onwards, so in the shipbuilding and allied fields, workers went where the jobs were.

Mobility was much higher than many sources suggest.

As here, all that was needed was information from some source, possibly a relative, that there were great opportunities on the shipyards on the Tyne, then, all that was required was a straightforward train journey from the Glasgow area down to the Tyne; possibly with the man of the household first travelling there, getting a job, and later arranging for his family to follow him.

kirkmichael