Author Topic: John Downey born 1811? Dublin  (Read 20802 times)

Offline princesscowie1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Downey born 1811? Dublin
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 June 12 02:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have contacted the R.C. diocese of Yass to see if there are any details regarding the family that I do not have as they were married and had all of the children christened there. Here's hoping. As far as mother and father on marriage certs. Fredrick m Annie Maria Waugh 1880 "Cowabbie Station" Wagga (rellie has this cert so dont know if father and mother are noted)  Mary married Ludwig Stark with John present 1868 at Foxborough Hall Wagga Wagga, Annie married Charles McGaw Monie Goulburn 1885 as Downie. Father John Downie (carpenter?) mother Bridget Reynolds,Margaret (assume defacto with Samuel Johnston (bBelfast Ireland from 1878 - Margarets 1st child born 23/3/1878 Wanterbadgery, Wagga no father  Ada May Downey christ. as Ada Maria Downey6/4/1878 St. Michaels Wagga mother "Margrita Downey",Annie May Downey b 20/6/1879 Mo "Maggie" Downey Wantabadgery near Wagga no father died as May Johnston 12/10/1882 father Samuel Johnston mother Margaret Downie had 5 more children to Samuel ,he died before 1904 (living at Glebe)then married James Turner in 1905 as Downie - spinster only 1 daughter Gertrude Johnston survived and produced offspring to Albert ?Doran, John jnr not married, Michael Augustus Downie,(mine) marr 1890 father & mother not stated Emily Whitmore,James Downie d pre 1872cant find death cert.,Bridget ( married and died asMaude) Downie b1868 m Alfred Ernest Horton in 1896 Father John Downie mo Bridget Reynolds. Emma Downey b 1872 Wagga m James Robert Ball father John Downey dec'd Mother Bridget Reynolds) in 1901 Wagga James Downey (twin of Emma) b 1872 Wagga not married d 1918 Sydney. There are a lot of change of spelling etc to accomodate faith change from R.C. to Protestant} Gail

Offline princesscowie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, I received from R.C. archives Yass today birth records for Mary 3/7/1852 She is still the elusive one.Anne 22/2/1855, Thomas b 2/6/1858 (couldn't find birth records for him but is noited on his mum Bridget's death cert.) and Margaret b 6/5/1960. Now a challenge for someone who must know. Mary  Downey  married a German Ludwig Stark on 13/4/1868 at Foxborough Hall, Wagga Wagga. Both listed their residence as "Pomingalarma"They had son Lewis born 1871(no birth cert), William b1872 born Albury Rd Wagga Wagga. William died ? Lewis died as Lewis Marks 1930 unmarried 58 mo Mary Downey fa Lewis Marks(wrong Ludwig Stark)both should say dec'd. Now Mary left Ludwig and takes up with Joseph Marks whose wife Francis(Fanny) died leaving him with a baby daughter Rachael born 1874 Wagga Wagga. In 1877 Mary Downey (Stark) and Joseph Marks  have Elizabethborn in Wagga Wagga, then Joseph born 1878 Pyrmont Sydney, Florence b 1880,Edith b 1887, Mary b 1892. Mary was stillborn and Edith are buried together in 1892. I cannot find what happened to Mary Downey,Stark? de facto Marks. Can anyone help?Gail

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Princess,

Did you ask the Diocese for information about the marriage of John DOWNEY and Bridget REYNOLDS, particularly if their local parish records perhaps include information about their respective parents?  If they have that info, that will help with searches both in Ireland (baptisms) and in NSW (death certs).

ADDING
Re the 1868 marriage at Foxborough Hall.  Do you have the NSW BDM mc (or a transcript of it).  If so, does it have blank sections for the names (and occupations) of the parents of both the bride and the groom?  Or does it note that the NSW BDM have reconciled their records with the respective church registers?

IF there are elusive blanks, then you cannot actually confirm who were Mary Downey's parents based on the mc. BUT the thread that Dundee and Ros mention SHOULD give you the clues to set about confirming who were her parents.

Ros, John and Bridget were married in 1850 - pre civil registration, so there is only a church record.

The records that weren't reconciled were after 1856 and they are the ones which contain the parents' names.

JM's post

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

Debra  :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 08:18 BST (UK) »
Mary  Downey  married a German Ludwig Stark on 13/4/1868 at Foxborough Hall, Wagga Wagga. Both listed their residence as "Pomingalarma"They had son Lewis born 1871(no birth cert),

Not sure who advised you that there was no birth cert, but the birth cert for Lewis STARK is indexed at the NSW BDM online index as registered in the Wagga district for 1871 with the ref #18547.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/familyHistory.htm

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline princesscowie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM.

Offline princesscowie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 09:16 BST (UK) »
JM Regarding your query about the marriage cert for Mary Downey and Ludwig Stark. It does not state age of either or parents, only that Ludwig was a bachelor and a farmer and Mary was a spinster and a "Lady" both living on the same property and Mary signed with an x mark. Hopefully the church archivist may be able to help? Gail

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 10:11 BST (UK) »
How sure are you that Ludwig Stack was German?   The NSW ER for 1870 for THE HUME includes a Louis STACK, qualified to enrol with a residence on the Murrumbidgee.  There is also a John STACK on that same roll,  John's at Wagga.   I think that would indicate Louis Stack and John Stack were both British Subject, either by birth or by naturalisation.  Also, there's a Jacob MARKS, at Wagga on that same roll.

Perhaps Ludwig was related to Louis and or John ?

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Roman Catholic Section, Rookwood Cemetery  Mortuary 1, Area C, Grave 290 has two burials:

Mary E MARKS, aged 5 buried 23 April 1892
Mary MARKS S/B buried 25 April 1892

http://www.catholiccemeteries.org.au/     I wonder if there is a possible typo for the age of Mary E MARKS, although you have the double burial for Joseph and Mary’s daughter Edith born 1887….  I was thinking that perhaps the double burial would be for Mum and her S/B baby girl   as I have not yet  found a birth for Edith Marks 1887 ….   Mind you I can see a dc for an Edith Marks with parents given names of Joseph and Mary, registered at Newtown in 1892 (NSW BDM #9505).

Cheers,  JM

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This might be the probate of John Downey who you thought might have died after 1874 as he disappears off the Electoral Roll
http://investigator.records.nsw.gov.au/Entity.aspx?Path=\Item\301089

These records are at NSW Archives Kingswood Sydney. A search through Archive Investigator shows quite a few "Downey" records that may provide more info for you.

Cheers :)
cupoflife