Author Topic: Finding Sarah Watkins  (Read 2298 times)

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
Finding Sarah Watkins
« on: Monday 18 June 12 06:55 BST (UK) »
My Sarah Watkins was dtr of William Watkins; her mother is unknown to me.  Sarah md an Englishman in 1844, and named her two dtrs, Sarah Ann - 1849, then Jane Rebekah - 1855, my ggm.  I enjoy the name game and with that and the 1841 Wales census possibles, along with the 1851 English census in which Sarah gives her age as '37', i surmise she was born c1814.  However the 1841 Wales c in LLANIGON has Wm W + Jane his wife with 3 children, not including a Sarah.  Would Sarah in 1849 name her first dtr after herself with the Ann being a reference perhaps to her father's mother?  Then would she name her 2nd dtr, Jane after her mother? Then the other 1841 Wales c in BRYNGWYN, the 'Jane' in that family is a daughter of Wm and Mary Watkins, Sarah named her 2nd dtr after her younger sister, Jane?  Both villages are in Brecknockshire.  I understand that Bryngwyn is on triple border: Rad, Breck and Hereford, which i think is in England.  This i like given it being cattle and droving busy and the Rebecca Riots add another name ingredient that Sarah might have employed.  Her English hb, Robert Green, was variously a labourer, butcher.  Their first son, John - 1845, became a groom, cattle dealer, drover,  butcher.  He married a lady from Holmer in Hereford.  I wonder if Sarah left home just before the 1841 Wales census in order to work or find fortune in London.  Her father would have likely known the cattle routes to both Essex, and more southeasternly to London and so she went, married at St Brides then moved to Essex, her hb's home ground - perhaps.  He too remains an enigma.  Sarah's 1851 census gives her bp as "Radnorshire, Brecknock".  Ambiguous for whatever reason.  Both censuses in 1841 have William Watkins as a Farmer.  I think i favour the Llanigon census as most likely, given that Hay was the Reg District for the census and it took in southern Radnorshire too i think.  I also favour the town/village of Glasbury as a likely home for Sarah as it is in Radnorshire.  Any help really appreciated.
BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Sarah Watkins
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 23:03 GMT (UK) »
It's been a while, so would like to see if anything 'new' can be found.

I have the 1851 Essex census where Sarah is now Mrs Robert Green and they have 3 children, John, Octavious and Sarah Ann.

It gives her as coming from a junction area on the borders of Radnorshire, Brecknockshire and Herefordshire.  I have struggled with census over the years to see if i could find her original family but to no avail.

I think she may have come from around Glasbury??

She was a farmer's daughter who likely travelled with him on his droves to either Essex or Smithfields, or both. 

Sarah may have already known Essex either directly or from her father, so if so, then she could have had some comfort in going there after her marriage to the widower, Robert Green when they settled in Weeley and raised their family.

I welcome any interest.
Thanks
jk22

BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales