Author Topic: 13 Broadway, West Ham - Was a Public House there in 1901?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Lyn S

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
13 Broadway, West Ham - Was a Public House there in 1901?
« on: Sunday 22 May 05 14:32 BST (UK) »
On the 1901 Census image for 13 Broadway, West Ham (RG13/1564 Page 2) there is a list of people - Publican's Manager, Barmaids, Potman, etc. - and I wondered if this might have been accommodation for bar staff or the location of a Public House.

Does anyone know if a Public House was located at this address at the time of the 1901 Census and, if so, what it was called?

Many thanks

Lyn S

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 13 Broadway, West Ham - Was a Public House there in 1901?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 May 05 15:34 BST (UK) »
I can't remember any street or road called 'Broadway'in the area that is now called 'West Ham'. And I checked my memory bank against Streetmap.uk :-\
However the Registration District which was/is called 'West Ham' is a lot bigger than that area and includes Stratford.
And Stratford has a Broadway. Even better than that Stratford Broadway still has at least one wonderful pub. The first one that comes to mind is the 'King Edward the VIIth' but that number* is way out.
If you go to http://www.lalamy.demon.co.uk  click on 'Where we live etc' and then click on 'Publist'
you'll see a lot of others in the E15 postal district. The most likely are 'Two Puddings' (Bobby Moore etc used to imbibe there) and Black Bull but have a butchers at the others.
Of course if there is another Broadway in West Ham I am gonna look daft. Come to think of it there is a Plashet Broadway which may fit the bill.
One way to be sure is: can you see if your pub is very near to the Town Hall.

*They all might have been affected by street number changes over the years

Offline cep

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 May 05 15:58 BST (UK) »
From http://www.lalamy.demon.co.uk  quoted by Clincher:

"13 Broadway. - circa 1892, apparently was AKA 'Mooney's Imbibing Emporium' in its early days and was reverted back to 'Mooney's' in the 1990s, however has currently reverted back once more to the Black Bull. In 1881 Census (with no name)."

May be this one:

http://essexpub.net/Stratford/obbull.htm

Regards   CP
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lyn S

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 May 05 18:44 BST (UK) »
Clincher and cep

Thank you very much indeed for all the information you have sent me - one of the Barmaids listed in the 1901 Census was my Grandmother and, unfortunately, as she passed away a long time ago, I am unable to run some of those names past her.

However, between you , you have provided more information than I dared hope for so many, many thanks for that.

Best wishes

Lyn S