Author Topic: Charles Weightman "Natator or Man Fish"  (Read 6223 times)

Offline glensmum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Weightman "Natator or Man Fish"
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 June 12 04:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. It perhaps helps with another poser. His wife who was Catherine Bowman[Kate Douglas Kerr an actress and elocution teacher] in1903 was reported to have been on her way to London as she had inherited a fortune.
"Miss Kate Douglas,an Australian actress, well known a few years back for the excellence of he Shakesperian work is on her way to London where she has inherited a fortune. Miss Douglas it is remembered was married to Mr. Charles Weightman "the Man Fish"
14 March 1903 The Daily News Perth W.A.

To my knowledge she wasn't ever in Western Australia,so expect this was picked up from another newspaper. The call for her to contact London was in the Brisbane Courier 25 February 1903.

The Mr. Kerr whose name she was using towards the end of her life is a mystery.
Regards glensmum

Offline glensmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 July 12 04:03 BST (UK) »
My application to the San Francisco Library has been answered

The Daily Examiner
 San Francisco
Wednesday May 4th 1887

Weightman-In this city, May3, Chas Weightman [professionally known as the Man Fish], a native of England, aged 41 years.
Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend the funeral to-morrow [Thursday] at 10 o'clock.a.m. from the undertaking parlors of Cowen, Porter and& co. funeral directors, No. 118 Geary street.

Search on
Regards glensmum

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 July 12 05:55 BST (UK) »
Does this have any connection to the Weightman/Kerr question?
WEIGHTMAN.—At Cootamundra, N.S.W., June 29th, Corporal J. A. Weightman, No. 8 Co., 17th Battalion Infantry, dearly loved elder son of Mrs.Douglas Kerr.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission gives same date of death as the above newspaper article in the Brisbane Queenslander, published 10 July 1915. However the CWGC gives full name as John Arthur Weightman.

Offline glensmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 July 12 06:33 BST (UK) »
Yes it does.
Charles Weightman was the father of John {my grandfather]
Catherine or Kate Douglas as she was known in the theatre was his mother. She started to use the name Mrs. Kate Douglas Kerr and on her death certificate 13.1.1927]her "other" son Alan George Douglas Kerr says she married Mr Kerr in New York.Alan says they had been married for 29 years but Alan was 33years old.
I have no evidence of her traveling to New York or having this child Alan.
Alan perhaps was the one who is on the WW2 Nominal Roll.
He was born in London 8. January 1894.
Perhaps he was a step son,possibly with a sister Hilda
I am getting confused with Kate and her life but will plow on. Thank you for your continued interest.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 July 12 06:43 BST (UK) »
According to his AIF records John Arthur Weightman was 33 years old when he died in 1915. Parents Charles Weightman and Kate Bowman. That if correct means he was born 1882. First time I have ever seen a death certificate in an army record. Seen a birth certificate for an under 18 year old in England who's father was well off and successfully got him back to England from France. When he reached 18 he was sent back and was killed.

Offline nipper56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 November 23 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have been following the Bowman family and found the following info which may be of use to you.
The Lorgnette (Melbourne) - Friday 10th June, 1887.
AMERICAN MEMS.
A San Francisco correspondent states that Charles Weightman (the man-fish) is dying of consumption in St. Mary's Hospital.

The Lorgnette (Melbourne) - Friday 8th July, 1887.
Charles Weightman (the man-fish), died at St. Mary's Hospital, San Francisco, on the 3rd May. His last days were made comfortable by Al. Hayman, of the Baldwin Theatre and formerly of Australia. The Company of the Baldwin Theatre) purchased a burial lot and had a neat headstone placed thereon. Al. Hayman generously volunteered to assume the entire obligation. The deceased's wife, (better known as Miss Kate Douglass), is now with Bland Holt's company in Sydney.

Hope this helps a little, cheers, Nipper.