Author Topic: Kirk's Close Bo'ness  (Read 12691 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Kirk's Close Bo'ness
« on: Friday 22 June 12 14:22 BST (UK) »
I have just got the 1890 will of my GGG grandfather's brother Alexander Brown,for a blacksmith's son he seems to have done very well for himself and died with businesses and property all over the place.I'm now trying to track down where some of these might have been.Does anyone know where Kirk's Close was or is,it's mentioned near the bottom.He himself lived in Corbiehall.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Kirk's Close Bo'ness
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 June 12 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi George

Can't see it on this 185 map but not everything named. I can see South Street and looking south of that a School, but that's it so far!

http://maps.nls.uk/os/25inch/view/?sid=74963111

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 June 12 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,I wonder if it wasn't actually called Kirk's Close,as it says 'usually called',could that have been a local name.I notice a few small yards behind the church in Corbiehall,could that be the Kirk mentioned ?? I have seen a couple of other places on that map mentioned in the will so thank you for that link,it's right in the period I want for Alex and his parents.He seems to have inherited much of his property from his brother Thomas who died in 1873.Fascinating documents for both of them though,and thanks for your hint as to the new price for wills,I obtained both of these for a very healthy 10 credits each,well worth the money.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 June 12 16:23 BST (UK) »
Ooh hang on,just south of South Street is a church with a school nearby,is that the one you meant.A smithy nearby too,his father was a blacksmith.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 June 12 16:44 BST (UK) »
Yep, that is more the general area I was thinking of. Just north of the Smithy, and closer to South Street is also another school, School for infants, with a playground. Could be either refence to a school at this stage.

There are a few households showing there in 1891. Was trying to see whether it showed in 1841 on FreeCen to do the before/after household, but can't see it then.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 June 12 18:42 BST (UK) »
George, you might enjoy reading through this set historical walk (Walk 7 Bo'ness to Bridgeness) through the area we are discussing and showing on the map (thought there might be mention but can't see it unfortunately) www.falkirklocalhistorysociety.co.uk/home/index.php?id=100

There is a contact page there. Maybe drop an email and make enquiries if no one here on RC can help for now?

I know you like your photos! Have a look at www.falkirklocalhistorysociety.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cid=7# There looks to be a photo of South Street there from 1910. Not too far from where we are probably looking at for Kirk's Close likely.

Monica

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 June 12 18:51 BST (UK) »
I'm going to take a stab at this being around Bo'ness Old Kirk in Carriden, it isn't too far from Corbiehall.

You really need an old map of Falkirk, most of these old wynds, closes and entries have been done away with over the years.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 June 12 19:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica,I will have a trawl through those in a moment.fifer1947,let me know if you come up with anything,the family were in Corbiehall for some years,though some of their spouses were from Carriden.I do happen to know where both Alex and Thomas are buried along with Alex's wife Janet Cuthill and my 4xG grandparents John Brown and Janet Gibb,thanks to this photo Cauther Lassie sent to me.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 June 12 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Monca and fifer,most of the places aren't mentioned by name,just the tenement once belonging to such and such and now belonging to me.But he does mention land on the Brae,once belonging to the Duke of Hamilton and twice property near somewhere called the Coal Gate ?

By the way if any of these debtors are the ancestors of anyone looking in,feel free to convert to today's currency and get in touch ;D