Author Topic: Maria Point  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maria Point
« on: Saturday 23 June 12 04:09 BST (UK) »
Maria Point was my GG grandmother. She was born or christened on 12 Mar 1827 in Aberdeen, and married to James Buyers 12 Jan 1852 in St. Nicholas, Aberdeen.

She is shown in the 1841 census, living with Elizabeth Point, John Point and Hannah Point. John Point and Hannah Point are siblings. Elizabeth Point is shown living with Hannah Point in the 1851 census, and indicated as her mother. So I had assumed Elizabeth Point was Maria's mother. But now I have found a record on FamilySearch indicating that her parents were John Point and Jane Olachlin with a christening date of 12 Mar 1827 in St. Nicholas, Aberdeen.

I have found a record of a John Point marrying an Elizabeth in May 1831 in Old Machar, Aberdeen.

So my surmise is that Jane Olachlin died and John Point remarried someone named Elizabeth. Since he is not shown with Elizabeth and Hannah in the 1851 census, I assume that he either died or left the country.

Does anyone have any suggestions for obtaining more information on this family?

Thanks for any assistance on this.

Fred

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Point
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 June 12 12:41 BST (UK) »
John POYNT was Christened 11 Sept 1825, St Nicholas, Aberdeen to John Poynt and Jane OLOCHLAND

Sorry I cant find anything else.
Do you have Marias M/C to confirm her Fathers name/occp?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 June 12 13:20 BST (UK) »
Do you have Marias M/C to confirm her Fathers name/occp?

As Maria was married in 1852, i.e. before the start of civil registration in Scotland in 1855, there is no marriage certificate and the chances are that her marriage record will not name her father.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 June 12 13:27 BST (UK) »
My mistake I thought it was earlier :-[
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 June 12 13:50 BST (UK) »
 Elizabeth Point died in Old Machar 1874 (maiden name Thomson),this I think is the one on your census.The 1871 census has her as 77 living with daughter Hannah and her husband.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 June 12 23:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information, everyone.

I have confirmed that John Point married Elizabeth Thomson in May 1831 from pre 1855 Banns & Marriages.

I can find no death record for him, but he does not appear in the 1841 or later censuses.

I am going to start a separate thread for Jane Olochland or Olachlin, who was apparently his first wife, and the mother of John Point and Maria Point, the two different spellings coming from their two christening records.

I had been thinking of Elizabeth Point (nee Thomson) as my GGG grandmother for the last few years, but now realize that she was very likely not.