Author Topic: Priestley family tree  (Read 10578 times)

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Priestley family tree
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 June 12 11:49 BST (UK) »
When you get the email notifying you of a reply it looks like this.
Double click on the line that begins
View the reply at: It takes you to your post.

A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by ?

View the reply at: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=603675.new;topicseen#new

Unsubscribe to this topic by clicking here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=notify;topic=603675.0

More replies may be posted, but you won't receive any more notifications until you read the topic.

Regards,
The RootsChat.Com Team.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 June 12 12:09 BST (UK) »
There were other people but not as part of Sarah Priestley's family. She was on her own.

There are many free sites for genealogy and a good place to start finding these is at
http://www.cyndislist.com/

For BMD in England and Wales FreeBMD.

For parish records worldwide familysearch.org plus the 1881 census.

Freecen http://www.freecen.org.uk/
and freeReg http://www.freereg.org.uk/

Then there is the National Archives.

ancestry offer a 2 week free trial but if you decide to take advantage of this make sure you cancel a view days before the time is up or they will automatically charge you for a 12 month subscription. Also if you do decide to take out a sub on ancestry make sure you do it through ancestry.uk  It is a lot cheaper.
I don't know if FindMyPast is still offering a free two week trial.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 June 12 12:24 BST (UK) »
There are 2 or 3 Baptisms on familysearch.org but this one took place closest to Clayton which is where Sarah in the 1851 census says she was born.

Sarah Priestley 
Baptism 14 Jan 1787 
at Wibsey, York, England   
Father Jonathan Priestley 

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 June 12 12:36 BST (UK) »
Christenings with parents James and Sarah Priestley

Benjamin Priestley
birth 23 Sep 1827 
christening 25 Nov 1827 ST Peter,​Walworth,​Surrey

Thomas James Priestley
birth 11 Jun 1825 
christening 30 Oct 1825 ST Peter,​Walworth

Jonathan Priestley
birth 20 Mar 1823 
christening 20 Jul 1823 ST Mary,​ Newington Surrey

Hannah Priestley
birth 11 Jan 1818 
christening 1 Mar 1818 ST Mary Newington Surrey
parents James Priestley,​ Sarah

Amelia Priestley
birth 7 Jan 1821 
christening 12 Aug 1821 ST Mary,​ Newington surrey

Maria Louisa Priestley
birth 24 Sep 1814 
christening 23 Oct 1814 ST Mary newington

Sarah Priesley
birth 19 Mar 1816 
christening 12 May 1816 ST Mary,Newington

So was Jonathon their son named after Sarah's father? Does this strengthen the case for the christening I found being your Sarah

Offline aitchiva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 06:52 BST (UK) »
thank you crisane, yes all the children I knew about, thanks so much for looking, the census was very helpful as was the birth you found for sarah, she had a son jonathan and thats not that common a name so that entry for sarah with the father of jonathan is highly likely.  Thank you for doing that.  Benjamin and johnathan died as babies.  How would go about looking for the birth of the husband, James Priestley, all I know is that he was born around 1791.  Its hard being far off in NZ not knowing where the places are.  I know counties in england but towns dont mean a thing, as I dont know where they are located.  where is beds or bedfordshire in relation to newington or london?

Offline aitchiva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 06:55 BST (UK) »
crisane, that Maria Louisa you found, is my great great grandmother, she married in newington and her and her husband brought their family out to brisbane australia in 1861, their daughter mary (my gt grandmother) married and they settled in nz, there was also an elder sister Nancy b and christened around 1812, what part of england do you come from, thanks

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hi aitchiva

Your ancestors are like my family. I was born in Bolton Lancashire, went to Wanganui NZ, married an Aussie there and have lived in NSW for soooooo many years. All my family, including son, live in NZ.

You have the date for the marriage of James and Sarah Priestley. Where did you get these details? If it is from
family search.org then your nearest centre should be able to order in the film for you. It may give more details than you already have.

This will take you to genuki, another genealogical site,  and the map of English counties in the 1800's. http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Britain.html

I use google maps to work out distances between towns and in which county they fall. Although you have to be careful because boundaries have been changed over the years.  Using google maps and using the find directions box top left, I found that the town of Bedford is approximately 106 miles from Newington.

Offline aitchiva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 08:39 BST (UK) »
hi

I am valerie aitchison and live in wellington, I know wanganui well.  Sarah and James' two eldest daughters were Nancy b1812 and Maria b1814,  I found two mges one in 1811 for a james priestley and sarah priestley, and one in 1814 for a james priestley and sarah stead, the last couple were married in bradford but the first couple, both priestleys were married in st marys newington which was where the children were all christened.  so that would be the right one.  the census for sarah in 1851 said she was born in clayton and the wibsey you found is pretty close and with the names of jonathan for both her father and son all tie in.  our local library in porirua has a genealogy section manned by volunteers.  A genealist there found the 1811 mge on line thru their resources and printed out a photocopy (parish record) of the actual mge for 10 cents.  I cldnt believe it.  Just have to find James birth now.  Will get the genealogy  lady to print out a copy of the birth of sarah next weekend.  so exciting.  Regards Valerie

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 10:52 BST (UK) »
Below is the address of the LDS family search centre in Wellington

FamilySearch offers public access to genealogical records from all over the world. Salt Lake City is the biggest and there are others in over 80 countries.

140 Moxham Ave, Hataitai
Hours Tues 6.30pm-9pm;
Fri 10am-1pm;
Sat 9am-noon

Does the photocopy of the parish register entry the librarian got for you show any film numbers?

I would visit Haitaitaicentre and see if they can help.