Author Topic: Help needed with family tree  (Read 11424 times)

Offline nelehwright

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed with family tree
« on: Monday 25 June 12 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hello all.
I am new to all of this and have been interested in my family history, but dont know where to start.
My mum's mum died when mum was 6months old, my grandad died nearly 2 years ago and it never occured to me to ask (i have a load of old family pictures, and Mum can only help with a few of the faces) My dad'sparents are both deceased and he has told me a little bit of family history but I wanted to find out where I am from, and if I have any other blood in me- As far as I am aware I am fully english(this goes back to great great great grandparents on each side) but my Dad says that someone on his side was part greek but he doesnt know who.
So, does anyone know of any places to make this easy for me? I have tried the online family tree sites but always come to a dead end. I was thinking of going to a professional service to help me with this but I have no idea how much it all costs.
any help is much appreciated
Helen

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with family tree
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 June 12 19:47 BST (UK) »
Start with what you know.

Ask your parents for copies of any certificates - birth, marriage, death - which they have, and contruct an outline tree from there.  Your parent's marriage certificate will tell the name of their fathers; birth certificates will tell you the names of both parents.

Once you get back to 1911, you can start looking at census returns - these should give you lots of useful information.

Have a look at the 'Beginners' board on this site for lots of useful hints and tips.

Don'y pay for a professional reearcher unless you really have to - it's much more fun to do it yourself.

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline nelehwright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 June 12 22:00 BST (UK) »
I will give that a try, and hopefully I can find out my heritage, and help my curiosity of my ancestors.
Thanks a lot x

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 June 12 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi!  I would like to echo what cati has said..... ;D  Make a pedigree chart and start filling in what you know with yourself and then your parents, etc.  If you get stuck....don't hesitate to ask for help here at Rootschat.  Do remember that we only can deal with deceased people.  You will soon become familiar with a great free site <www.freeBMD.org.uk> which will help you fill in many dates and places.  We are here to try to help you, too!!  You definitely came to the right spot!   Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 June 12 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hiya Helen and Welcome to Rootschat...as all 4 of your grandparents are deceased, you could start with those and work backwards...
Your mums mum...do you know her maiden name ?
do you have the marriage of your mums mum and dad ?..ie on www.freebmd.org.uk you could look up your mums birth...this should give you her mums maiden name ... then look for the marriage ...
then
the same scenario for your dads parents
if you want to post names that you have ( not living people) we can see if we can help you to research backwards from your grandparents...
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline nelehwright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 June 12 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hiya Helen and Welcome to Rootschat...as all 4 of your grandparents are deceased, you could start with those and work backwards...
Your mums mum...do you know her maiden name ?
do you have the marriage of your mums mum and dad ?..ie on www.freebmd.org.uk you could look up your mums birth...this should give you her mums maiden name ... then look for the marriage ...
then
the same scenario for your dads parents
if you want to post names that you have ( not living people) we can see if we can help you to research backwards from your grandparents...
allan

My Mum's parents, this is the infomation I have on them
Antony Boote (living in Staffordshire)29th June 1934 DOB and died 29th december 2010 (I think he was born in North Staffordshire hospital in Staffordshire)
All my mum knows about her mum is, her name was Gladys but unsure of her maiden name (from Macclesfield area) before she became a Boote, she was married before, she was a Berry
My dad's parents were Elsie Wright (nee. Stutberry, living in Crewe) DOB 18th January 1922 20th May 2009 was when she died. she was originally from Dartford/ Grey's end,Kent. And she was married to Gerald Wright, his DOB was 30th MArch but my mum is unsure of the year, and was from the Crewe area (possibly born in Hack Green) Possibly he died on 10th April 1994 but unsure on the dates(I havent had chance to speak with my dad to clarify the dates).
I have found a birth certificate for a Wilmot Harris, born on 28th January 1910, registered in tunstall. My mum thinks this is some relation of her Grandmother..possibly Great-Grandfather
Thanks a lot Allan, this is very appreciated:)

Offline shilo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 June 12 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

welcome to rootschat  :)

starting with Anthony birth

Anthony Boote
Registered Jul-Aug-Sep 1934
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire