Author Topic: 1861 Census - Coston(Nfk) missing?  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1861 Census - Coston(Nfk) missing?
« on: Wednesday 27 June 12 12:27 BST (UK) »

I'm trying to find John SAUNDERS (b.1821) who should be living in Coston, Nfk in 1861, there's no sign of him on Ancestry or Find My Past.  Furthermore, Coston doesn't appear on the drop down list of parishes in Ancestry's 'browse' option.

Coston should be in RG9/1221, but Ancestry returns no results for people living "Coston" with piece 1221, which makes me wonder if the whole parish is missing?

Has anyone else come across this problem, or else successfully found someone living in Coston in 1861?

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census - Coston(Nfk) missing?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 12:32 BST (UK) »
Coston actually has a census for 1831 and the Saunders name,James and John appears on it.There is also one female,E.Saunders.Link here.

http://www.origins.org.uk/genuki/NFK/places/c/coston/census1831.shtml
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 12:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Seoras, I'd found the 1831 information in trying to work out what was wrong with the 1861 census.  John is living in Coston in 1841, 51, 71 and 81 and died 1883 - 1861 is the only missing year  ???

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 12:38 BST (UK) »
Did he marry Nick,if so who and when ?
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 12:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, twice, firstly to Matilda who died 1853, then to Ann YEOMANS (nee PEASE) in 1855.  Ann, as well as various children, is also missing in 1861.

The puzzle is that there doesn't appear to be anyone living in Coston on either the Ancestry or Find My Past indexes.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 12:50 BST (UK) »
Looks like it should appear after Runhall and before Carleton-forehoe. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/browser.asp?CATLN=3&CATID=12178&POSCATLN=6&POSCATID=1221000

Can you browse from those?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 13:14 BST (UK) »
Sadly not Pauline, to browse you have to select the parish name from a dropdown list, and Coston isn't in the list.  :(  Possibly the one situation where the old microfilms have an advantage over the internet!

I'm going to check the reference number for the last page in Runhall and the first for Carleton to see whether there is a gap.  I did wonder if Coston had accidentally been transcribed as part of Runhall, but seems unlikely that both Ancestry and Find My Past would make the same error.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 19:18 BST (UK) »
I've had another look at Ancestry and Find My Past and am now fairly sure something is wrong...

It looks like Coston and Runhall were enumerated together as Enumeration District 10 - the description of the enumeration district (RG9/1221/folio110) says the whole of the two parishes of Coston and Runhall.  The summary sheet (RG9/1221/111/iv) gives 246 persons on 11 pages for Runhall, and 58 persons on 3 pages for Coston.

However, both Ancestry and Find My Past have no images beyond RG9/1221/116/8, which is page 8 of Runhall.  Ancestry returns 197 results when searching for people living in Runhall, which is the same as the totals for pages 1-8 from the abstract page (RG9/1221/112/v).

Which suggests that the last three pages of Runhall, and all three pages of Coston are missing from both Ancestry and Find My Past.

I think the next logical step is to contact National Archives and ask them to check, unless anyone on Rootschat has easy access to a copy of the RG12/1221 microfilm and would be willing to have a look for Coston near the end of ED10?  It would be nice if someone else could confirm I'm not doing something dimwitted!  ;)

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 July 12 14:53 BST (UK) »
Passing quite by accident  I called in Coston Historical church today. Photographed  Exterior, interior and all readable headstones.

Grave, John Saunders 1883 aged 63 and Ann Saunders 1905 aged 86.
Image availible if you would like ?.
Researching My Family in Norfolk.
Barker-Barnard-Brooks-Bush.
Eagling-Fincham-Goddard-Gooch.
Hammond-Johnson-Long.
Musk-Mickleborough/Mickleburgh.
Oakley- Parker-Potter-Smith-Wright...