Author Topic: Removal Orders (1767)  (Read 3523 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Removal Orders (1767)
« on: Wednesday 27 June 12 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hello there . Need some general info re a removal order   that i have found on an online index  held at  Bradford archives wyjs  . The index  info says.

>Addingham Township Records Overseers of the Poor ,records removal orders.

"removal order of Mary Butterfield (a poor child aged about 4) ,from Long Addingham to West Layton 9th Oct 1767 "

1 item Bradford GB 202 access status open  < .

I think i can purchase more info or/and view in Bradford.
What can i expect ?  What might be happening here ? Is she alone or might her parents/parent be in same record  ? She is being removed 50 or 60 miles away ,up north to the border with Durham . Quite a trek to take her . If she is illegitimate   which parents parish does she belong to (Butterfield is definately more of an Addingham/West Yorks name ) . Might she be vagrant. How would the overseers have dealt with her and decided what to do ?  . Iv read up on poor laws a bit and know quite a bit of Social History but havnt researched Removal Orders before . 
Thankyou 

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Removal Orders (1767)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 22:11 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 22:55 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Stan . Iv visited that  workhouse website a few times when iv managed to get some time on a computer , i will look at the link soon as i can get back on one . Its a great site that explains all the legal jargon in laymans terms . Thankyou 

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Removal Order (1767)
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 June 12 20:33 BST (UK) »
Have managed to do quite a bit of work on this today. Have also been looking into  child labour,   the weaving mills and workhouses in West Yorkshire during  the early part of the industrial revolution   but im wondering if i will find out more i  see the full order or is all the info in the index .  Thankyou 

Offline toastbutler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 June 12 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Sally.
I have an instance of a Removal Order in my family tree from the early 1800's. I involved illegitimacy and the family from outside the parish had fallen on hard times. I am no expert but as I understand it the Parish was responsible for all born within the Parish and those that had a right to be resident there. If someone became a burden on the parish financially then someone had to pay. If another Parish was responsible then a Removal Order would be sought via the County Court Sessions.
Hope this helps.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 June 12 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Toast . Thankyou for your reply . I believe Mary is the daughter of Joseph and Mary (nee Hey) Butterfield m 1755 . Mary was bpt Keighley 19th Oct 1763 (with sister Martha bapt the same date) Both born Ponden Mill  near Stanbury (owned by a different local family and before the big mill was built there)  .
There is a family connection with Addingham mill but thats later on .   
Another thing is that sister Martha has  illigitimate children  (as does Mary and another sister Unice)  .
Marthas  illegitimate children are bapt  at Keighley  ,  at  Haworth and a possible one  is bapt as far away as  Dewsbury .  ( Martha dies just after childbirth with her baby bapt living /Oakworth/Keighley Workhouse . Martha dies of 'decay' age  31  and is buried Keighley d/o Joseph)  .
Mary dies age 29 of "lung"  d/o Joseph  buried Keighley . So if its same Mary in above removal order   im wondering why Addingham and West Layton .
There is a lot of ilegitimacy in this family  and also im wondering if the siblings are moving around for work  . Maybe the parents did and thats why they where born and probably worked in this remote mill ? . Its looking grim whatevers going on . 
West Layton just seems to be Layton Hall with a few agricultural labourers at that time

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 June 12 18:18 BST (UK) »
........cant believe i forgot this bit of the info   

also there is a later removal order
Held at Keighley library

Removal order of Mary Butterfield from Haworth to Keighley

unfortunatly , this one dosnt give an age but it does fit with our Mary being pregnant and unmarried
(son James bapt Haworth 15th feb  1785 b****rd )

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 August 12 01:19 BST (UK) »
. . . . also held at Keighley archives .
"Bastardy bond of John Butterfield of Pitcher Clough , Keighley , shalloon weaver , and Mary Butterfield same , the mother of a female child .  28 Feb 1760". 
All these 3 orders in my above posts are (i believe) about an extended family from a very remote sparsly populated part of the Keighley/Haworth Moor area near Ponden mill . this is just at the start of the weaving mill factory system in the area (Pitchers Clough and Ponden mill are literally next door to each other) . The children would also have been weavers and the mills also employed local orphans . 
Sorry if posts are a bit confusing but i am trying to figure out if the 3 orders might be related to the same family and if i might find out more if i see the original image ?
Ta