Author Topic: Records for Storthes Hall Asylum  (Read 10311 times)

Offline Cybermouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Records for Storthes Hall Asylum
« on: Thursday 28 June 12 02:37 BST (UK) »
Hi All - Yesterday I received a death certificate for what I hoped would be my grandfathers sister Nora Rogers. I was hoping the certificate would confirm (or not confirm) if she was part of my Rogers clan as she dropped off the face of the earth after the 1911 census. However, the certificate has only posed more questions that answers as this Nora Rogers died 1st Feb 1917 at the Storthes Hall Asylum. All the info points to her being MY Nora but of course the informant on the certificate was the medical super. I now need to find the records for Storthes Hall Asylum which I understand are held at Sheffield Archives. Living in Australia has made this a little tricky. Can anyone advise how I go about trying to get records of her admittance (am hoping to put a name to her father or mother) or anything! I've gone into the archives on line but most of the info is subject to the freedom of information act.
Thanks for any help offered.

Nora's occupation on the death cert has her as "spinster, Ecclesall Workhouse, Sheffield"
Booth of Derbyshire, Susquehanna, PA and Victoria, Australia, Rogers of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, Denial, Naylor of Yorkshire, Holloway of Staffordshire, Birch of Staffordshire, Pike of London and NSW, Australia.<br /><br />UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Records for Storthes Hall Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 June 12 03:38 BST (UK) »
So are the records not available to the general public yet? I would send them a nice email anyway - maybe if you ask if they can tell you if her parent's names (and what they are) are recorded on her records - that would at least confirm that you have the right Nora . Saying you live in Australia sometimes works as I think they feel sorry for you.  ;)
 ;D

Offline mirf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 June 12 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there is a burial at Thurstonland Church Huddersfield Yorks
for a Ada Rogers burial 25 Jan 1917 age 47 Abode Storthes Hall Asylum
 could this be of use Regards mirf
kilner ( Wombwell/Huddersfield )Atkinson Darley Yorks Fewston Shaw Mills Bishop Thornton Marsden (Masham)
Imeson Kirby Malzeard

Offline Cybermouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 June 12 23:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie, I give it a  go. They may take pity on us colonials  ;D. I forgot to mention that Nora died at the age of 17 which coincides with my Nora born jan/feb/mar quarter 1900 so unfortunately Ada Rogers is not a match but thankyou anyway. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Booth of Derbyshire, Susquehanna, PA and Victoria, Australia, Rogers of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, Denial, Naylor of Yorkshire, Holloway of Staffordshire, Birch of Staffordshire, Pike of London and NSW, Australia.<br /><br />UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kaz1056

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 July 12 19:26 BST (UK) »
You could try Wakefield family history i think they have records for storthes hall
i worked there from 1972 -1988
Ann Littlewood has wrote a book on storthes hall maybe you can google
a lot of patientys were buried at Thurstonland church and they have had a memorial service dedicated to the patients who were buried there but not named think they put a plaque up
good luck in your search
Handley (Huddersfield, Thornhill, Bury)
Hutton-Cornish (Huddersfield)
Firth (Huddersfield, Kippax ?)
Whitehead (Sheffield, Huddersfield)
Grater (Dewsbury, Huddersfield, Germany)
Summerscales (Thornhill )

Offline Cybermouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 July 12 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kaz, I have since contacted Wakefield Archives and have recieved approval from the NHS for them to search the records (100 year rule still in play). My mate in Sheffield has been wonderful getting paperwork back on forth to them for me which has sped up the process greatly. Am waiting for a reply with baited breath. I read about the memorial service for the poor souls buried at Thurstonland Church. I'm so glad there is recognition for them now. I doubt I'll ever know for sure if Nora is buried there but if she is at least she has some peace now.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 00:45 BST (UK) »
Please keep us informed about how you get on.  :)

Offline pelazaire

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 August 12 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I also have had a relative in Storthes Hall Asylum from 1915 to 1922. Can you tell me how to get information about Storthes Hall and anyone who has been in there? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Cybermouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 August 12 01:48 BST (UK) »
Ok so I finally heard back from Sheffield Archives via my mate in Sheffield. The good news is that the info confirmes that this Nora was indeed my grandfathers sister. Bad news is there is no records stating why she was admitted. Interestly, Nora was admitted to the workhouse January 26 1917 and transfered to Storthes Hall Asylum January 30th 1917 where she died two days later - a very short time indeed. According to my mate and the Archives many workhouse inmates were transfered to other locations further out of town due to the increasing amount of WW1 soldiers who were being admitted for care and rest at the local workhouses.
In answer to your question pelazaire, you will need to obtain permission from the NHS for the Archives to search any info you are requesting about inmates from Storthes Hall. This is due to the 100 year protection rule and because the NHS "ownes" the records. The Archives merely houses them. Once this is obtained you need to contact Wakefield Archives (this can be done and paid for online) requesting the information you want and your letter from NHS giving permission (although NHS were kind enough to send a letter to Sheffield Archives direct for me). Then it's a waiting game with fingers crossed. I intent to now contact Wakefield Archives for Nora's records at Storthes Hall so the saga continues  :)
Best of luck in your search.