Author Topic: John Gaskin Birth?!  (Read 5827 times)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Gaskin Birth?!
« on: Thursday 28 June 12 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for the birth of a John Gaskin.  He was born in approximately 1898, give or take a few years.  In 1920 he married a Jemima West in the December quarter in Ipswich, Suffolk.  His parents are Walter Gaskin and Alice Lamb.  I could not find him in any of the post 1900 censuses but I did find a number of brothers and sisters.  On his marriage certificate, he was listed as twenty years of age.  If anyone could help, I would be appreciative. 

BordersLass

:)
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Gaskin Birth?!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 June 12 12:37 BST (UK) »
For the peeps
Marriage June qtr 1872 Bury St Edmonds
Walter to Alice

Tinam
Cornthwaite, Morana, Pearce, Gaffney, Hazlehurst, Milburn
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
or  "All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 June 12 19:11 BST (UK) »
have you found any of them in any census only i can,t  ;D , also and if john was born approx 1898 and his folks wed in 1872 28yrs is a long time between both even by any stretch of the imagination .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 June 12 19:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tina, I did have that information, sorry, I should have said.  Trevor, I agree but from what I've found out about John's siblings, the eldest I've found at this point was a Selina born in 1875 and the youngest, Louisa, was born in 1894.  I know there are most likely one or two older children than Selina.  They were a Romany travelling family; John was illiterate as he made his mark on his marriage certificate in 1920 and so did one of the witnesses, his sister Matilda.  John was the youngest of all of the children if the age on the marriage certificate was correct.
I did find them in the censuses but not John.
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 June 12 19:48 BST (UK) »
oh blimey no wonder we can,t find them  ;D  as romany,s the chances are pretty remote , have you seen the travelling people board it may be worth asking on there for some help , as long as you mention you have this post running so as not to get cross references .
regards
trevor

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 June 12 20:15 BST (UK) »
I will try that Trevor, however I'm going to be a bit stubborn and exhaust all possibilities first, lol.  I found quite a few of them so John has to be out there somewhere!  ;D

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 June 12 20:32 BST (UK) »
no not stubborn , tenacious sounds a lot better  ;D at least you have tother site as back up if you need it .
best wishes
trevor

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 June 12 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you t mo.  After further investigation, it turns out that the legal age for girls to be married in England at that time was twelve.  Therefore, it is not unlikely that John Gaskin was born at the turn of the century.  :o

Offline jollysway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 July 12 17:02 BST (UK) »
  I believe John was born in Thetford.