Author Topic: BARRS family in Warwickshire  (Read 8904 times)

Offline Al Barrs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BARRS family in Warwickshire
« on: Monday 23 May 05 01:52 BST (UK) »
Seeking information on BARRS in Warwickshire, especially in the regions around Bulkington Village and Dunchurch (Toft Hamlet). Also Leicestershire Barrs family in Market Bosworth. Barrs in Bulkington from earlier than 1500 to 1612 when Thomas Barrs moved his family to Toft Hamlet near Dunchurch Village. The family spread to other location in Warwick from Toft Hamlet.

indiapaleale

Re: BARRS FAMILY IN WARWICKSHIRE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 18:47 BST (UK) »
Parts of the 1841 census for Warwickshire are now on line:
http://www.hunimex.com/warwick/freecens/1841/index_1841.html

I think you will find some Barrs in Dunchurch which comes under Rugby 1137.
Bulkington is under Kirby 1136

You can use the "find in page" feature on your browser to search for the names.

Hope this helps,
Indi

Offline Ena Barr Phillips

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 18:50 BST (UK) »
 l have been researching the Barrs for a long time and have come up a brickwall  l've managed to go back as far 1732 to John Barr b1732 fillongley...but now l'm stuck .....John Barr was my was my 6thg/g/f ....have you come up with anything for me to go one   ena barr phillips

Offline Al Barrs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 19:16 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon Ena;

Are you of the Barrs or the Barr family? Barr is a Scottish surname and Barrs is English for the French surname Barres and Barre. I haven't seem any French/English Barrs and Scottish Barr connected prior to 1800.

I can steer you to my Barrs of Warwickshire information if you want, but unless you are of the English Barrs family I think you may be on the wrong family limb. However that said, some later day Barrs have changed their surname spelling to Barr because they never met another Barrs not in their immediate family. In the 1700s and before the surname Barrs become popular it was often spelled Barres in England and sometime Bares and Barr.

Your best bet will be to access www.familysearch.org, the Mormon Church Family History Research Database, which is the largest in the World. There you can search for Barr worldwide and you will find thousands of them.

If I can help contact me at e-mail address albarrs@wfeca.net.

Good Luck,
Al Barrs
Greenwood, Florida USA
albarrs@wfeca.net

Offline Ena Barr Phillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BARRS family in Warwickshire
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 September 08 01:45 BST (UK) »
Al, thank you for such a prompt reply,  my family name is Barr and have no trouble tracing back to 1732 as far as l know all the family stayed in Warwickshire, Fillongley, Aston, and Birmingham....oh!also Coventry....l was born in Aston and l know quite a few generations were in Aston, but it seems everything traces back to fillongley....would like to find out where we all came from...a story passed down through generations says it was a drunken scotsman we  all originated from but i'm inclined to think maybe we have Irish blood in our veins being as Birmingham had such a large influx of Irish in the 1600 &1700's  l've  checked with" family search" and other geo sites..with your info on the different spelling of Barr may will open the door l'm looking for  Thank you   ena

Offline Al Barrs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 September 08 04:41 BST (UK) »
Good evening Ena;

Regarding Scottish or Irish heritage, let me say this. My GGG Grandmother was named Nancy Elizabeth Campbell-Barrs, yet both her parents were Irish. I researched this conflicting fact because Campbell is obviously Scottish...big time, the Campbell Clan still exists in Scotland. What I learned was the many Scottish families migrated to Ireland due to a land deal between the king and two Irishmen. Same situation for my Bell family. Both families track back to Scotland but when they immigrated to America in the 1600 and 1700s they arrived as immigrants from Ireland. This is probably the same story for you Barr family since Barr is such a strong Scottish surname. Search for James Hamilton (1559 - 1644) and Hugh Montgomery (1560 - 1636) both were born in Ayrshire Scotland and read their involvement in the Scottish to Ireland movement.

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 September 08 10:09 BST (UK) »
Ena, have you searched through the registers for Fillongley for any trace before 1732, if not I could take a peep as they have them in my local library.
There is also an Online Parish Clerk who will do lookups for you and I notice two by the name of Barr in the M.I.s.
It can all be found at - http://www.hunimex.com/warwick/opc/opc.html

Offline jvb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BARRS/ BARR family in Warwickshire
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
In case you don't know there are still members of the Barr (sorry, not Barrs) family living in Bulkington - I know because they live next to my father !
If you want to get in touch, I can pass a message on.
Regards
John
All counties -Brightley, Brightwell; Cambridgeshire - Peggs; Staffordshire / Derbyshire - Hollis, Myatt, Kidd; Birmingham / West Midlands - Woolley, Harley; Warwickshire - Warren; Oxfordshire - Golby/ Goldby, Ashmore; Herefordshire - Harley

Offline parker-barr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 15:10 BST (UK) »
l have been researching the Barrs for a long time and have come up a brickwall  l've managed to go back as far 1732 to John Barr b1732 fillongley...but now l'm stuck .....John Barr was my was my 6thg/g/f ....have you come up with anything for me to go one   ena barr phillips

Please would you contact me if you get the oppurtunity

Moderator Note: email and phone number removed in accordance with Rootschat policy. Please use PM (Personal Message) to exchange those details