Author Topic: Why Would He Be Missing?  (Read 18611 times)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why Would He Be Missing?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 June 12 13:57 BST (UK) »
Just thought that I'd bring Barbara's Ernest saga a bit more up to date:

Barbara's Mum told her last week that Ernest had been adopted. I'm not sure where it leaves us but as I did a lot of work on him 2 and a half years ago, I'll start the search again.

I think his real name was Ernest Abbott Onley b. 10 Oct 1887, Islington. He was then adopted - no sign of him in the 1891/1901 censuses. Adopted father believed to be an engineer. Alos had an adopted sister. Later became a carpenter (journeyman ->master) and worked for a while in the theatre. Married 30 Nov 1912, St Pancras. Was then living Great College Street.

He appears to have been known as Fred Blunt before/during this time.

Gadget

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 June 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0o7s/

Is this anything to do with you,Barb???
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 June 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hang on.Ive cocked it up...
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 June 12 14:07 BST (UK) »
Is Abbott a family name or could it have been his Father's name?

Why Fred Blunt? Is that a clue to his Father?

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 June 12 14:08 BST (UK) »
Did he move up to Bolton with Nellie?

Yes he did, first child Marion baptised in Bolton in 1913...... but when he actually moved there is anyones guess!!

JM...........Ching.............. that's a new one!!!!    ;D

Adopted, Hepburn............. don't really know!!

Pauline.    Partly right.   We don't really know if he was adopted, formally or informally.   It was only a thought (guess) on Mums part.   He did tell his children his father was an engineer.  And he did tell them he had an adopted sister who died young.

He was in the army during WWII in the Royal Engineers (Birth Cert of son, John has his occupation as Army, Royal Engineers) but there's nothing on the N.A.   There is an Ernest Onley, but this is the wrong one as he has been traced back.  

Name Fred Blunt came from his daughter (Marion) when he was working in the theatre as set designer - when this name actually came about we don't know.  He was a master carpenter.    Address on MC was Great College Street.

Abbott.......... don't know!

Fred Blunt........... don't know!          :-\

Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 June 12 14:10 BST (UK) »
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 June 12 14:13 BST (UK) »
Was this Ada Lamb on an Ancestry query you too? Barb..

Offline hugatree

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 June 12 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hmm, when I was a child I had an 'uncle' called Fred Blunt, it was explained to me that wasn't his real name, he got it in the army because he was the sort of person to tell you straight, no messing....