Author Topic: Irish BMD Records  (Read 8272 times)

Offline 19cats

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish BMD Records
« on: Friday 29 June 12 14:47 BST (UK) »
I am trying to research my family in Ireland and cannot get past my great-grandparents.  My great-grandfather, Patrick Preston, was born around 1839 in, I believe, County Mayo.  He definitely died in County Mayo on September 14, 1911.  I know he had a brother Tom and a sister Bridget.  From what I've been able to find on line, neither he nor my great-grandmother, Mary Flannelly, were ever born or married.  They show on the 1901 and 1911 census and they appear on the birth record of my grandmother (misspelled as Poeston).  Any suggestions?
Preston, Knockaun Township, Co. Mayo, Ireland; James, Martin, Wareing from Preston, Lancashire, England

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish BMD Records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 June 12 15:15 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births in Ireland began in 1864- there will be no birth certificates for anyone born before 1864.
Registration of Catholic marriages also began in 1864 (from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages).
Events such as births and marriages before these dates will need to be searched for in church records (which may or may not survive for the period you need). Not all surviving church records are online.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 June 12 15:30 BST (UK) »
Patrick's death registration is
Jun qtr 1912
Killala
vol 4 page 183
age 73

was there a delay in registering the death?
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 June 12 15:33 BST (UK) »
Mary died Dec qtr 1920
Ballina
Vol 4 page 11
age 80
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 June 12 16:08 BST (UK) »
Do you have proof that Mary's maiden name was Flannelly other than the baptism of Bridget Preston
mistranscribed
Bridget Poeston
18 Oct 1879 Mayo
father Patrick Poeston
mother Mary Flannelly Preston

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 June 12 16:32 BST (UK) »
If you look at the image for the Irish 1911 census for Patrick Preston, it says he was born in America.  Having said that I can't find him on the 1870 census or any returning passenger list

to see the image for the 1911 Irish Census, once you have found the family click on Household return form A.....

you need to be looking for a marriage c1877 if there is one. I also note that the ages on the 1901 census are quite a bit out to the 1911 census and death records, so looking for a birth c1839 might not be very accurate.

My personal thoughts are that Patrick Preston married in Meath 1871 to a Jane Neill, there follows several children (on family search) then it all stops in 1876.  Jane dies in 1878

Offline 19cats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 June 12 18:57 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the helpful responses.  While I don't have proof that Mary's maiden name was Flannelly, her children all thought it was.  The Mary who died isn't my great-grandmother because she came to the US in 1912 with her daughters Margaret and Annie.  The death record of Patrick in June of 1912 is really fascinating.  However, I guess that would have been anytime within the months of April, May and June.  Mary, Margaret and Annie left Ireland in April of 1912.  So much for the story that Patrick died the day my mother was born.  As far as Patrick being born in America, the birthplace changed from the 1901 census; it had been Mayo.  The frustrating thing is that I have no idea what his parents names were. I am guessing that Michael was his father since Michael Preston shows up on Griffiths Valuation in roughly the area Patrick and Mary lived. I only know of the two siblings because their homes were listed as destinations when the rest of the family came over.  I can see that this will be like doing a jigsaw puzzle with pieces missing!
Preston, Knockaun Township, Co. Mayo, Ireland; James, Martin, Wareing from Preston, Lancashire, England

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 June 12 20:55 BST (UK) »
on the 1912 passenger list, Mary, Margaret and Annie state they are goning to stay with Mary's brother Anthony FLANNERY.
by 1920 Mary, Margaret and Annie are living with Mary's other children Michael and Kate (catherine).  Michael, Kate and Bridget arrived in Boston 6 June 1902 on the Saxonia stating they were going to stay with an uncle Joseph Pickets in Arlington Mass
Do you know how Joseph Pickets fits in with all this?

Offline 19cats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 June 12 21:11 BST (UK) »
Wow!  At least I can start looking for Mary Flannery.  I never heard of Anthony.  Joseph Picketts aka Joseph Pichett was married to another Bridget.  Since Joseph is listed as an uncle, I'm taking a wild guess that maybe Bridget is Patrick and Tom's sister.  Thank you!