Author Topic: Passenger look up pease  (Read 2765 times)

Offline melsimba66

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passenger look up pease
« on: Saturday 30 June 12 15:53 BST (UK) »
 I have been looking for my Great Grandfather George Tough ( born Kincardine Oneil ) ship information , I know he arrived in Canada in 1894 March 15 th  and his ship the Saturnia was headed to Halifax Canada , but I want to know the information on him leaving the UK either from Scotland or England . Can some one help with this ?            Thank you  Melanie

Offline Hercule Poirot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger look up pease
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 June 12 16:16 BST (UK) »
Have found this record of George Tough / Saturnia but in different period

Name:    George Tough
Estimated Birth Year:    abt 1906
Date of Arrival:    25 Oct 1920
Vessel:    Saturnia
Port of Arrival:    Quebec
Port of Departure:    Glasgow, Scotland
Roll:    T-14711

Offline melsimba66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 June 12 17:33 BST (UK) »
CORRECTION !!!..........I made a mistake on the ship name ............the Saturnia was the ship he came back in 1922!!........I do not have the Port or ship name from 1894 .....sorry                     Melanie

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 June 12 18:10 BST (UK) »
according to FindMyPast passenger records there is no halifax destination in the time frame you want there is one for the 23 june 1894 for a geo tough occ horse foreman leaving glasgow for montreal
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Hercule Poirot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 June 12 18:45 BST (UK) »
I saw that entry but dates didn't tie up. Can find no documentary evidence of travel either way across the blue pond and even searched by ship for a return entry

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger look up please
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 September 12 11:36 BST (UK) »
      The only person with the name Tough I could find going to Halifax was two years earlier.

On the "MONGOLIAN" departing Liverpool on 9 Apr 1892 for Halifax was a JOHN Tough.      He was aged 18, born 1874, a labourer.

He wouldn't be related to George Tough by any chance, would he?

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 September 12 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

A Mr G Tough age 24 arrived in Quebec May 1893 onboard the Vancouver. This matches the year of arrival for George in the 1911 Canadian census. There were also 2 young females onboard, a Miss Tough 21 and a Miss S Tough 19.

George must have then returned to Scotland, married Bathia in 1902 and, according to the 1911 Canadian census returned to Canada with Bathia and Alexander in 1902.

Andy

Offline melsimba66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 September 12 20:22 BST (UK) »
    Hi every one and thank you for your reply's , I am a bit confused with my Gr Grandfather  George Tough , and this is where my inexperience with genealogy comes in , .......On  his final return to Canada in 1922 on the Saturnia  he put down that his previous port of entry was Halifax  on March 15 1894, but in a 1901 Census  from BC  he put down his  immigration year was 1892, Then in his 1911 census it almost looks like he put down 1891.   Now maybe he was not that great with math  ?!    I am now trying to find his name on the countless dozens of ships that came through any port during 1891 -1892 time line . Also I am searching for his return to Scotland to marry Bathia probaly 1901-1902 , Then their trip to Canada during 1902-1903 . She would be bringing a small boy with her , maybe age 5 ? from another relationship .  He was a traveling man I'll say that .

DODDSIE  4     .......Yes he did have a brother named John , but he did not came to Canada , he lived in Summervilla Bildnid???   Aberdeenshire

ANDYCAND.......I found that ships list too , but I am not sure if that is him with his sisters or not ?? ......

This will take some more detective work  at my local library .......Thank you all ..... Melanie

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 September 12 21:06 BST (UK) »
melsimba,
                  There is a voyage I found, but I don't know whether it is George and family or not, though I think it looks slightly promising.

On the "ASTORIA" departing Glasgow on 17th July 1902 for NEW YORK.

Geo Tough  aged 39  Married   Gardener.
      Mrs  Tough           30
      Alex Tough             3 

Although the ship was going to New York, I have always had the feeling that people sometimes went via New York to Canada.       I have wondered if going by the St Lawrence river wouldn't actually take just as long as going by train from New York.

This isn't them, is it - no?

P.S.     This wouldn't come up on Ancestry.      It was on Find My Past, and there the original page wouldn't come up, so this is only the transcript that they gave.