Author Topic: Passenger look up pease  (Read 2764 times)

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger look up pease
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 September 12 21:31 BST (UK) »
    melsimba,
                       George Tough married Bathia Bannerman in 1902 at St Machar, Aberdeen, Scotland.    (168/02 0224)

Offline melsimba66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 September 12 00:55 BST (UK) »

Doddsie  4   , I am so excited right now , yes that is them , the boys name was Alexander and when George married Bathia the child took his last name  You have just made my whole month !!!!!....No wonder I could not find that , I was assuming he left from Liverpool and entered to Canada.  Its a huge find , Hugs all around  ;D........I did find the  marriage  too thank you .......Now I am not sure if he left to go to Scotland to marry Bathia  in 1901 after the Canadian Census was taken or if he waited till 1902? ........Why would the information not be in Ancestry .com ? or Familysearch ?     My library has Find My Past  but  I thought it dealt only with records from England , so I have not been using it for my research .  I better change that !!             I am very very happy , again thank you so much .     Melanie

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 September 12 02:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

The following family arrived in Glasgow Oct 1913 from Montreal onboard the Scandinavian. The surname has been transcribed as Yough but is definately Tough. The information matches the 1911 census pretty well.

George Tough 50 farmer
George Tough 10
Mary Tough 8
Wm Tough 5

Andy

Offline melsimba66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 September 12 05:49 BST (UK) »
     Hi Andy , WOW , that is a great find ! , I thought I had found them going back in 1914 , I had printed it out a while ago ! ........obviously that was the wrong person . ::)..........I have been relying on the Canadian Archives records of Ships Passenger Lists ,  But I will look at other sites more closely now ........It seems odd to me that George Tough Sr did not choose to bring back the son Alexander who would have been about 14 at the time of his mothers death ,  Thats another mystery I am looking for  Where did he go to live ? and why did he not return to Scotland ? . The infant daughter Beth ( Bathia died two weeks after giving birth ) was given to another family to raise  , so she never really knew her father either. I am also trying to track down any more distant relatives to see if I can come up with some more Old Family photos , ..........Take care all       Melanie

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 September 12 06:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Passenger can be difficult to find, particularly individuals, information is limited and ages are often well out. I find family groups are often easier to find as childrens ages are usually more accurate  and of course a combination of first names help to indentify you have the correct family.

I have also noticed that when a surname begins with T it is sometimes mistrancsribed so I searched using surname ?ough.

Andy

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 September 12 07:32 BST (UK) »
   Melanie,
                  Your response to the info I found made my day - and it is still only about seven in the morning!        I got a "buzz" from finding it myself.         

...I live in Glasgow, Scotland  and I find that Scotland People is a great site for finding out about Scottish ancestry.         There is no Membership fee that I have ever noticed.         You use credits instead, and can often see a photo of a birth, marriage or death certificate etc for about seven credits altogether, which is less than you normally pay.        And you can see it right away on screen, if you are pretty sure you have the correct person.        It can become addictive though.       Often, you see a lot of people on a list, and aren't sure that the one you open will be right.      That's when the cost can mount up - but for sheer speed of seeing a certificate, it's terrific.         You have probably used it yourself...

Find My Past is good for outgoing ships records from the UK from 1890 to 1960.      Instead of naming the country you think a person went to, you can if you want just leave that part blank, and in your case it would give you results for all folk named TOUGH voyaging to anywhere, including Canada or USA.

Can you tell me if George Tough married yet again?
I noticed a George Tough who was married to Christina, returning to Scotland in 1956.       But he was an Electrical Engineer and I have dismissed him as being simply another George Tough with nothing to do with your ancestors.

I also think the real George may be on "Border Crossings" (from Canada to USA and vice versa)        I have seen a George Tough there.       However, there was probably more than one George Tough, although I don't know that for certain.

Offline melsimba66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 September 12 17:43 BST (UK) »
Good Morning
       The passenger lists are very hard to read especially the originals on micro film . Pages are faded and the handwriting is often messy ( tho not all ) ,
   Andy ...Very smart cutting out the first letter .
   Doddsie 4 ....Glad I made your day , Between the two of you I have felt  I am further ahead than months ago . I can not thank you enough

I have used Scotlandpeople before , and I have gone through the credits in a matter of days  ::)........ I had to use the bank and  the mail system simply because my husband will not let me pay for anything over the internet .  The last time I sent out a request form and the money , I am afraid it has gotten lost somewhere  because it has been a few months now and the ScotlandsPeople have not recieved anything , nor has the cheque been cashed be any one !??!?...So I gave up on it for a while and I am going to keep "  nagging "  my husband ........ Although our Cloverdale  library has unlimited access to world records with Ancestry , Find My Past and Familysearch ......

I don't think George Sr married again ,   I have been waiting for Scotland to release its 1921 census list early ,  He developed stomach cancer  and returned to Canada accompanied by his daughter Mary in 1922 so he could be buried in Chilliwack with Bathia .
  George Jr had came back to Canada earlier 1921 to live in Alberta , and son William (my grandfather ) followed in 1924 . George Sr died in 1926  in Vancouver. 

I will look in the Border crossings , something I have not searched in  yet   
    Melanie

Offline melsimba66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 23:50 BST (UK) »
I found the RootsChat Common room post about the free credits through the paper and radio link , I found what I was looking for ,  there is a page error for one of my  viewings but not to worry.  Just one more ships list to find for Georges return to Scotland to Marry Bathia and I'll have a complete set...........Thanx Melanie