Author Topic: DNA Testing - Y DNA  (Read 19139 times)

Offline andreabro

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing - Y DNA
« Reply #126 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Who is testing for Geno. Hopefully  your brother.  You will  get  MTdna from your  mothers  line  through his  test. Sorry  Just read  up.It is  your  brother.   It  may  be  worth  ordering a  couple of 12 marker  YDNA  tests at  $39 dollars  for your  other lines   you  wish  to  test. It  is  normally  $99

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 08:32 GMT (UK) »
I did a Y-DNA37 test with FTDA. & am struggling to get my head round the results. I am getting hundreds of matches at the 12 marker level, only one at the 25 marker level & none at 37.

Here are my results for the 25 marker match and I wonder if they are significant or not worth worrying about. We have different surnames but strangely both family names which are fairly rare were prominent in the same small area a couple of hundred years ago.
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline andreabro

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Have  you  considered a NPE. (non parental  event). 
I  too  have  a  son  with  very   few  matches, but  matches   could come  at  any  time as  more people  test.  Hopefully you  may  get  more matches   in a  few  weeks  when the  WDYTYA  test  results  are completed. Have  you  joined  a  project  for  your  name.  if  your  matches  are   from a  similar  area   I  would  look  into  them, it  may  give  you  more  clues.
I  have  done  the  Geno  test  for   my  son   which  gave a massive  amount  of info,  I sort  of  know  where  his  family  fathers  father  came  from 500  to  1000  years  ago   but  not  the  bit  between  that   and 1750.  But it  have  given  me  the  correct  place  to  look.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Who is testing for Geno. Hopefully  your brother.  You will  get  MTdna from your  mothers  line  through his  test. Sorry  Just read  up.It is  your  brother.   It  may  be  worth  ordering a  couple of 12 marker  YDNA  tests at  $39 dollars  for your  other lines   you  wish  to  test. It  is  normally  $99

Hi. Thanks! :)

That's a great idea, but I've looked at my family tree and I can only think of one other line that I'd could test for Y-DNA and I'm hoping to get something more detailed on that one. Since it's through a project, I shall get it at a reduced price, anyway. Not as cheap as $39, but I feel that, by comparison, 12 markers isn't very informative.

On the other hand, if I can get some cheap MtDNA tests done, that would be more useful to me! Fingers crossed!

Yes, my brother has agreed to do the Geno (when I've saved up for it), so that we can get the full spectrum.

Thanks for your advice:)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck