Author Topic: DNA Testing - Y DNA  (Read 19134 times)

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing - Y DNA
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 15:41 BST (UK) »
Nick29

I run four accounts for two females and two males.  I would like an opinion on  the following: On one male, 25 marker, 2 distant that has branches to all or most of the European Royals and one female (father unknown) a 5th distant cousin showing  another European Royal in their branch .  My accounts are mostly European with the usual splattering of Middle East. etc. Is it the norm for people of mostly European ancestry (at least they think they are) to have this type of connection i.e. distant/remote cousins and have others had this show up too?  Just curious.  I haven't responded/contacted them.  I am busy looking for the Brown's, Woods and Turners. Lookin2
Howlett, Brown, Woodroofe, Mills, Battey, Woods

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 15:53 BST (UK) »
Tricia,I see that you are located in England. This is much of the problem, not enough of us have taken the test yet for patterns to emerge. I took the test last year, and so far have not had a single confirmed match with a person with my surname. There is one person with whom I match 33/37 markers, but FTDNA say since we are different haplotypes we cannot be related. My response is that as there are only around 550 carriers of the surname (under 300 male), surely the different haplotype is an error in their test. They will re-test and refund if they are wrong, but as they have complete control of the tests seems too risky to me.

However, I did match 36/37 markers with a man in Canada, and was able to prove by the paper tree that his ancestor was the result of a liasion between my grandfather's brother and his great grandmother in Lincolnshire around 1870. Family likenesses in photographs were quite remarkable.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 16:06 BST (UK) »
Nick29

I run four accounts for two females and two males.  I would like an opinion on  the following: On one male, 25 marker, 2 distant that has branches to all or most of the European Royals and one female (father unknown) a 5th distant cousin showing  another European Royal in their branch .  My accounts are mostly European with the usual splattering of Middle East. etc. Is it the norm for people of mostly European ancestry (at least they think they are) to have this type of connection i.e. distant/remote cousins and have others had this show up too?  Just curious.  I haven't responded/contacted them.  I am busy looking for the Brown's, Woods and Turners. Lookin2

European royals were quite famous for their illegitimate children.  There are people here in the UK who claim to have a better right to the UK throne, if descendants of illegitimate people were allowed the right to the throne.  Even in normal life, it has been estimated that between 30% and 60% of people alive today have a name on their birth certificate who is not their biological father.  This is the trouble with DNA testing and genealogy - it follows real blood lines, not family lines.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 16:12 BST (UK) »
As I have noticed Nick, see reply 10 above.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 16:20 BST (UK) »
I think I have a half-brother who took the name of the man that my mother was married to at the time, although the child was born in a house occupied by my father.  This was in the 1940's - attitudes were different then.  Sadly the child only lived 2 hours.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EDO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 06:01 BST (UK) »

Perhaps this can assist you to understand what is offering?

http://www.familytreedna.com/pdf/promo_gap.pdf

Ysearch the number one Y-DNA public database

Also, it could take quite a time to find a close match.

Whilst I have not found a close match for myself after some years, as a project administrator for 2 family groups, I have found successful matches for others.

The secret is - participation and patience.

Regards

EDO

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 July 12 01:21 BST (UK) »
... the more people who test, the better our chances of a match become  8)
Hi again:)

That's true.

Thanks for your thoughts :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 July 12 01:23 BST (UK) »
....There is one person with whom I match 33/37 markers, but FTDNA say since we are different haplotypes we cannot be related. My response is that as there are only around 550 carriers of the surname (under 300 male), surely the different haplotype is an error in their test. ....
That sounds very odd to me :(
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 July 12 01:25 BST (UK) »
.... The secret is - participation and patience.

Regards EDO
Hi Edo ~ I think that you are right!