Author Topic: Dunne/Dunn family in Kilcotton  (Read 6178 times)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dunne/Dunn family in Kilcotton
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 21:30 BST (UK) »
Headstones;
Jack

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 21:31 BST (UK) »
Headstone;
Jack

Offline TerringtonLass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 20:28 BST (UK) »
Sarah the Dunne Agri contracting business and farm is run by Brian Dunne and with the help of his brothers ,Brian's father who died in 2007 aged 87 was also named  William Dunne  but was known as Bill Dunne to his friends. The Dunnes in Kilcotton would have been Tenant farmers on the Alley estate until  around 1900 or 1910, when the estates were  broken up following the Land War , i can't say exactly but sometime in the early 1900's they became the owners of the farm they had been renting for many many years . The Dunne family Grave is in Knockaroo Church  Cemetery the head stone is relatively new the earliest date on it is around 1960 and the last is William Dunne in 2007 , beside is the grave of the Dunnes of Knockaroo who as far as i know are related to the Dunnes of Kilcotton  . Knockaroo Church is less than a mile from Kilcotton
hope this helps James

James, I am just so grateful for all you have told me.  There are so many Dunnes, with often the same christian names, that it had become a maze in my head and I felt lost!  You have made it possible for me to write out a draft family tree joining the two branches leading back to a brother and sister (my gg grandmother) circa early 1800s!  It needs a lot of padding out and a lot of work yet but there it is. Unless I find someone who actually knows the history I doubt I'll ever get much further back but I feel so lucky to be where I am! For sure I'll find my cousins the next time I'm in Kilcotton but how very sad to have missed Bill Dunne and all his memories.  Thank you for everything, James.  All good wishes, Sarah

Offline TerringtonLass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 20:44 BST (UK) »
Headstones;
Jack

Jack,  How very kind and thoughtful of you to think of sending me the truly excellent photographs of the two headstones.  They mean a lot to me and I feel such an idiot that, although I've passed it several times, I've never actually searched the cemetery.  Right now I can't think of a sensible reason why not! It's down to you, as well James, that I have been able to draft out a family tree.  The inscriptions have been so helpful.  Thank you.  Kind regards, Sarah