Author Topic: leadsdale  (Read 2753 times)

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
leadsdale
« on: Tuesday 03 July 12 19:08 BST (UK) »
Would like any information about the Leadsdales, just found a link to them in our family but can find no others. Has anyone got a Leadsdale please ?
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: leadsdale
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Which country and which county did they originate from?

Can you post some details re: names/birthyears please as freebmd only shows a birth and infant death in 1873 in Northumberland but has 3 births in Anglesey
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol Here is what I know about the Leadsdales     William Leadsdale married first wife Mary Susanna Fraser  1868 One child William born 1873
Second wife Ellen Williams  1879  Two children Louisa 1874 and Rosie 1879
Ihave records for a William L as Private in the 25 foot and also a record for a worker in the PO PLus four W Leadsdale's as crew members I assume this is my william,    There is one recored for another soldier 10 years older.and a record of a baby in  Northumberland. There is a married couple in Lancs in 1871 census and nothing else  So I really cannot say where he came from or went after his marriage except that Ellen remarrys in 1881,

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 22:41 BST (UK) »
His first marriage was in Scotland - have you viewed the entry on Scotlands People to establish who his parents were and when he was born?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYW7-4HW

All children were born in Anglesey

One child William born 1873

William was born in 1869 - not 1873 as per freebmd

Second wife Ellen Williams  1879

William married Ellen in 1873 - not 1879
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 23:27 BST (UK) »
Dear Carol thank you, I have this information, sorry I put the wrong date for the marriage to Ellen. What I do not understand is where did the Leadsdales appear from? There are no other Leadsdales apart from the birth and death record of the Northumberland baby. The other couple from lanc,s I guess could have been the parents, but where did they appear from as that is the only record of them. William disappears, I assumed he died before1881 as Ellen remarries in 1881to a Thomas Owens and Rosie becomes Rosie Owens. No other records of William junior or Louisa.  I have tried various combinations of spellings but have found nothing.The name does not seem to exist except for these few records. The fact he was in our army seems to me he must have been from to uk, and had some proof of who he was? One of his records shows his signature.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

His first marriage was in Scotland - have you viewed the entry on Scotlands People to establish who his parents were and when he was born?

Have you viewed his marriage?  Scottish marriages show both parents names and mothers maiden name

It will also show his age and occupation which will give you a birthyear for him

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 11:39 BST (UK) »
A William LEADSDALE, born Shiels, Durham, joined the 25th Regiment of Foot on 12 January 1866 in Edinburgh, aged 23.  He was discharged in 1869, and gave his future place of residence as Holyhead, which would match your man.

There's no corresponding birth registration on FreeBMD, but a couple of "possibles" are TEASDALE or LONSDALE - or he have been born illegitimately, and adopted his (step)father's surname later.  In any case it looks as though the surname spelling has got mangled at some point! :-\

As Carole suggests, the Scottish marriage cert looks your best bet to pin him down.
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi and good morning, I have the details from the marriage,  William W leadsdale, father Edwin,shoemaker, mother deceased. Clara Deville, William born Shield Durham 1843.
Yes he was briefly in the 25 foot, joined in Edinbugh, and married while in the army.
As you say he was possibly illegit.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 13:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry - this is all I can find on the IGI.  Birthplace matches but nothing else

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NB1J-HMN