Author Topic: john knox hagdon farm eglingham moor 1790  (Read 7462 times)

Offline BillyboyG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: john knox hagdon farm eglingham moor 1790
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 April 15 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jordy, thanks for your interesting post. I've not done any research for ages and it was pure chance that I saw your post. I was tracing the female line back from my Mother and got as far as Elizabeth Baird nee Knox. I couldn't find her marriage to William Baird or anything about her parents. I had that she was a native of Hagdon and William was a native of Doddington and a miner. Elizabeth was born 1816, a previous Elizabeth born 1815 died. It seems that Warensford was where Presbyterians baptised their children but they married at Eglingham. I had guessed the birth of Elizabeth Knox to be c1796 so 1792 fits, but I couldn't find it so well done and thanks. I had come up with a few likely parents, including a John Knox but it's such a popular presb. name, there are loads of them!
There were lots of open coal mines in the area back then, a big family of Bairds lived and mined around Eglingham but I've not linked them with mine.
I've put a couple of interesting links below, showing Hagdon and surrounding area, if you click on more images there are 11, you'll see it's a remote farm, another remote farm to the north is Haughterslaw, where William Baird lived, a track/footpath goes from there to Hagdon and on to Eglingham, so that must be how he met Elizabeth!
You've got me interested again now Jordy, I'll have to do more research. What is your connection?
Kind regards, Billy.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=55137152
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/208c685c-0efc-461a-87e5-4527cbbefa59

Offline BillyboyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 July 19 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jordy, are you still researching Hagdon? I went up there last week, took some photos and had a chat with the resident, he's been there for 14 years. I looked in St. Maurice churchyard fro Elizabeth Aird who was buried in 1800, couldn't find although some headstones had fallen over. There were headstones for the Scott family, died at Hagdon. It's a wild and lonely place!
Regards
Billy.

Offline Minkymania

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 14:25 BST (UK) »
Googled Elizabeth Baird nee Knox and these emails on RootsChat referring to her came up so I've joined.
I too am trying to get evidence supporting her birth and marriage and have drawn a blank. Has anyone had more success since these posts were made?
She is my direct line too-my third Great Grandmother. There seems to be two possible births Jan 1797 in Spittal or 1792 Hagdon Eglingham 1841 Census records her as 45 so  Jan 1797 is nearest to this but others think differently.