Author Topic: Census look up  (Read 2020 times)

Offline suchin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Census look up
« on: Friday 06 July 12 11:15 BST (UK) »
family law has the following living in Grouville Jersey channel islands: retired Lieutenant Colonel Edward Henry (Harry) Bernard and his wife Helen Lilian Bernard.
Harry was born in Oct 1862 London, Canada, and Helen Lilian (Millie) was born in India in 1873 India. They married in India in 1895.
Harry died Feb 1950 Palme De Mallorca Spain and Helen died Nov. 1954. London, England.
I am hoping some one can look up and find if and when did they live in Grouville Jersey.

thank you suchin

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Census look up
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 July 12 06:37 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find them on the Channel Isles census for 1901 or 1911.  It looked like Edward Henry Bernard on the 1871 census in Canada/Ontario at 8 years - saying that the head of the house had a different surname.

They appeared to go back to UK quite a few times by ship.  There are records for 1932 on Ship Wangoni, 1933 on ship Pegu and again in 1939.  They could have stopped off in Channel Isles and stayed for a while on their trips.

Am I right in saying that Helen Lillian's maiden name was MILLIE.  I thought this was her nick name at first.   The records say her father was William James Millie and her mother was Mary Ann Bridget King.
sabrina

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 July 12 08:19 BST (UK) »
Edward Henry was on the 1881 census UK living in the Royal Military College as a Cadet - Berkshire

sabrina

Offline suchin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 July 12 13:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your information on the 1871 census in Canada/Ontario and also for the 1881 census UK, and the shipping results, which I will follow up.
Yes "Millie" is my maiden surname. William James and Mary Ann are my great grand parents.
suschin

Researching surnames: Affleck-Graves.  Bernard. King. Lombard. Millie.