Author Topic: Bray House Hotel, Cafe Colonade and Albert Dealtrey  (Read 3644 times)

Offline 22SIMON90

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bray House Hotel, Cafe Colonade and Albert Dealtrey
« on: Friday 06 July 12 14:25 BST (UK) »
In 1920 my gt grandmother Margaret Walsh ( from Rosslare) and her husband Albert Dealtrey moved to Isle of Man and ran the Colonade Cafe together. They had 3 children, Sydney Albert Dealtrey my grandad, Eileen and Kathleen. Kathleen sadly died at 21 from TB.

Two Dublin girls Nancy and Polly and Mary Brennan came from Crosby to help in the cafe. In the yard was a little shed below the Grand Theatre and next door lived Mrs Dobson ( Dobbie) who peeled the potatoes! Albert Dealtrey's  brother Frank did all the menial tasks. Possibly Albert had TB and was grumpy because of it, given the family history he probably had arteriosclerosis as well. Just as they had taken on the Loch Promenade hotel he died. Aunt Peg had to take on this and the cafe.

In 1928 they moved to the Bray House Hotel later called The Gresham and it was used as a WRNS HQ during the war. They were there until 1930s.

Does anyone know anything about them or the hotels or cafes they ran, are there any old images?

One of my grandad's holiday jobs as a young man was putting out the deckchairs on the promenade! Grandad, Sydney Dealtrey also had a job in  a chemists off broadway.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bray House Hotel, Cafe Colonade and Albert Dealtrey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 July 12 15:57 BST (UK) »
the Colonade refreshment rooms were judging from the address in 1894 of 13 Victoria Street next door to no 15 Salisbury + Star hotel - the contemporary engraved view of the Salisbury (see under www.manxnotebook.comgazateer/inns/do_qy.htm would not however indicate an obvious refreshment room -
www.manxnotebook.com/tourism/pcards/val128/s01.htm has a thumbnail of early edwardian Victoria street the colonade cafe would be about midway down on right but no detail visible even on full size image

you could try library@mnh.gov.im to see if any images

are you sure re name of Loch Promenade Hotel - no hotel of that name I'm aware of - Loch Promenade consisted of many hotels + boarding houses
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline 22SIMON90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 July 12 17:28 BST (UK) »
Only sure of the Colonade Cafe and the Bray House Hotel! Dad's grandma eneded up trying to keep both going after the death of her husband Mr Dealtrey and it did her in as they say! Grandad ( Sydney Dealtrey) also caught TB here but luckily survived it. Ironically today I discovered that my Gran Zena who married Sydney Dealtrey my grandad, son of MArgaret and Albert who ran the Colonade Cafe etc had an aunt Emilie Elizabeth Harrison who married an Isle of Man native Arthur Fell Christian a Draper who lived at Parliament Square. Her aunt Emilie would have been living there at the same time as her future husband and mother in law!! 

Offline Tonyby57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

I'm late coming to the party but......I have some very intriguing information about the Dealtrey family who lived and worked in the Isle of Man during the 1920's/30's.

I've been doing some family research for my cousins and what I've discovered is a curveball that no-one saw coming.

As such, I don't know if admin will allow me to say anymore. Advice and thoughts please.

Tony

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Impossible to answer your question, without knowing what you have found.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Tonyby57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 16:32 GMT (UK) »
It concerns the family of Albert Sydney Dealtrey born in Hull 1913. Albert, who preferred to be known as Sydney, lived in the Isle of Man with his Parents and Siblings between c.1920 to c.1935.

The information I have is of a very personal nature and needs to be handled delicately, hence why I'm reaching out here, and hoping for a response from 22SIMON90.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 16:41 GMT (UK) »
It concerns the family of Albert Sydney Dealtrey born in Hull 1913. Albert, who preferred to be known as Sydney, lived in the Isle of Man with his Parents and Siblings between c.1920 to c.1935.

The information I have is of a very personal nature and needs to be handled delicately, hence why I'm reaching out here, and hoping for a response from 22SIMON90.

He was last online in May 2017 - 7 years ago!
If his email is still working, he may get a notification of your interest.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline 22SIMON90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I haven't been on here for so long I forgot how it all works :) Any information would be grateful received my Dad Peter Dealtrey knew nothing about his family history bar what his cousin wrote in some notes about the Bray house hotel etc and from my grandad who contracted TB whilst there and lost his beloved sister to TB sadly.

Offline 22SIMON90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm intrigued what have you found out? My Grandad ( Sydney Dealtrey) would have found it all fascinating!