Author Topic: Wittersham kent Acton House and Farm  (Read 8430 times)

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wittersham kent Acton House and Farm
« on: Friday 06 July 12 18:51 BST (UK) »
My Great Grand Uncle in 1861 census had this as his residence. Cannot find a thing on it. Any ideas please?

Thomas Body Age: 45 Residence
5 Great Acton House Wittersham, Kent, England  farmer 366 acres Employing 13 men and 5 Boys

Thanks ivor (Body)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wittersham kent Acton House and Farm
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 July 12 19:04 BST (UK) »
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 July 12 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Must be Acton Manor could have changed it's name, as did your second listed bulding Wittersham Court, which was College farmhouse in some of the earlier census (photo is as it was College Farmhouse not as it is on maps.google.com as Wittersham Court). My family where there and farmed it from ,1700 until it was sold in 1967.
Thanks ivor

Offline Wobblegate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 07:43 BST (UK) »
I think Hackstaple is right with his/her listed building. I alsways understood Acton Manor was the big house between what used to be Wittersham Nurseries and Owley.

As for College/Court Farm my Grandfather worked there for at least 50 years (it may have been 60) as gardener - when the Great War broke out he enlisted immediately as Col. John Body was both his boss and the recruiting officer!

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 09:46 BST (UK) »
What a surprise about your grandfather. I wonder if he contributed to the Planter that his troops donated to St. John the Baptist Church Wittersham where this is together with a double stained glass window to his memory. Perhaps he was at the unveiling of the Tenterden Memorial which Col.John Body opened and I have a photo of. Also there is a slight chance he entered Iraq in 1917 when Col. Body relieved the City in 1917 again I have a photo off. All on ancestry. This might be a cheek but I wonder if I can have his name and put this on the profile of Col. Body and if you agree a photo. I am into the history of my extended family and anyone who were associated with them. He is not on the 1911 census at College House (Wittersham Court) as Muriel Kenward Body was there with 3 other female servants. Col John was in India and Mesopotamia at the time. Never had any children, but not surprising as he could not have been at home much until his later life. Muriel left it to Ltd Colonel Edward Hedley Body who sold it in 1969.
Regarding Acton Manor I think some sort of cousin of mine my Great Grandmother Louisa Dengate has a photo of it and she was born on Acton Farm which is opposite the Manor where her father built a house. She says they have all the details, but her father being a Vicar and Farmer has little spare time, so I will have to be patient. Unfortunately time is not on my side being in my 80's and it has been a few months now.
thanks ivor

Offline Wobblegate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 10:12 BST (UK) »
No my grandfather didn't go to Iraq with Col Body. I am lucky in that his service history survived the blitz and he spent most of his war in the UK, serving in France from 1917 onwards.

I nearly mentioned Dengate's in my previous post  - so we are obviously talking about the same house. Dickie Dengate buried my father as well as conducting a good many family cremations over the past few years.

I'll dig out some stuff and contact you off site.

Offline rdiedo

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 October 12 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Mr Body

I've just stumbled across this post, I hope you don't mind me chipping in. My family the Packhams were very much tied up with the Body's. It's been a little while now since I looked at my family tree and I don't remember all the names off the top of my head but I will dig them out again.

Basically, my Great Great Great (I think that's right) Grandfather William Packham worked for Mr Body in Wittersham as a farm labourer as did his children. They must have been hard workers because when (Mr Body's son?) went off to Shoreham he took William's son Edward John Packham and his young wife with them. Then the Body's moved their farming concern to Gibbet Farm in Tenterden and again Edward and wife came with them, now with three children in tow and that is how the Packhams - and the Body's - arrived in Tenterden where I still live now. The Body's lived at Gibbet Farm and the Packhams who worked for them lived a few yards down the road at a cottage called Little Gibbet which is basically where Pine Grove nursery is now. I've just been doing some research on my Great Grandfather Cyril Packhams wartime career. Two of the Packham boy's served in the 5th Bn The Buffs. I'm just back from Ebony Church where the Packham and Body names are side by side on the Roll of Honour.

Are you still local to Tenterden/Wittersham? I'd love to have a chat about the family connection if you have time and I have an old photo that might be of Mr and Mrs Body from Gibbet Farm.

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 October 12 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi. What another surprise this week and a lovely one. Unfortunately I am now in my 80's and do not travel. Have not seen my Older brother or sister for 6 years who live in Ipswich and Eton. Not too far from Rustington West Sussex, but far enough. William Body, his wife Sarah Upton Judge and children were at Gibbets and I have a few photos of Gibbets. There is one of a couple of men ploughing at Gibbets Oak, but unfortunately I have had 2 computers go down. Thier children are my 2nd cousins once removed on Thomas Body side my great grandfathers brother. 2 of the children died in the 1st world war and are on the Tenterden Museum, which was opened by Col. John Body Wittersham Court and farm previously College farmhouse and farm when other Body's  were there. He is the grandson of Thomas's other brother both being my great grand uncle Moses. My side of the farm had mainly Kitchenham Farm, Bodiam and the mill for 10 years. Moses son John Budds farm Wittersham and Williams son Harold Haffenden Farm, St Mary's and Honeychild Romney. Williams side of the family still farm in Ruckinge. Attached a photo of William and family, not sure if it is the Gibbets Oak by the side?. Photo was too big to upload. My email *
ivor
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php