Author Topic: Children of Robert Thomas Gibbons  (Read 4505 times)

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Children of Robert Thomas Gibbons
« on: Saturday 07 July 12 15:45 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to track down the 2 children of Robert Thomas Gibbons for some time now. I have run the query through the system before without success.

The details i have are as follows Robert Thomas Gibbons b. 1887 Liverpool UK.  He married Amy Lillian Curran b.1885 Liverpool UK. They were married June 24th. 1914 SHELL RIVER Manitoba, Canada.

Robert died aged 46 in 1933, his address at the time was 906 Riverwood Avenue, i think Winnipeg.

They had 2 children by this marriage, Gordon Gibbons, who may actually be Gordon Thomas, was born 1918 Winnipeg.  Dorothy was born 1916 Winnipeg

However, recently during the free Canadian A- C period i thought i would have another bash, again without success! 

Looking over the information i have for Robert, it states on his obituary that he had been a member of the Zion church choir for 17 years.  The funeral service was conducted at the Clark Leatherdale funeral home and the burial took place at St. James cemetery.  I assume these places mentioned are in Winnipeg.

I wonder if any more information on this family in particular re. the children, can be squeezed from the archives?

Regards Purlin
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Children of Robert Thomas Gibbons
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 July 12 16:44 BST (UK) »
Amy L. Gibbons, 37 with children Dorothy R, 5 1/2, and Gordon R., 3, travelled on the Minnedosa from Montreal to Liverpool arriving 20 May 1922.  Destination 52 Dyson St. Walton Liverpool.  The column was ticked showing they intended to reside permanently in England.  I can find no return voyage for them but did not check New York arrivals.

There is a death for an Amy L. Gibbons b. 1886 for Sept 1948 Birkenhead Cheshire and one for Gordon Robert b. 1918 for Nov 1987 Birkenhead Cheshire.

Perhaps your search is in England and not Canada?

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 July 12 17:02 BST (UK) »
Did you find Robert on the 1916 Canadian census?  I can see an Amy L. b. Eng. with 8 month old Dorothy b. Man. but she is with Archibald, b. Eng.? 

Debbie

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 July 12 17:16 BST (UK) »
Amy, Dorothy, and Gordon appear to have returned to Canada in Aug of 1922 on the Montrose. (Form 30As). Looks like the Montrose left port 25 Aug 1922 so w/h actually arrived in Canada in early Sept.

One of Purlin's other threads about this family has Amy, Dorothy and Gordon travelling to the UK in 1934. The image gives a destination of 31 Desford Rd, Aigburth, Liverpool. The column 'other parts of the British Empire' is ticked wrt  planning to settle permanently so would assume not planning to stay in England.

Purlin, it would be a good idea to link your other threads about this family to this one so we don't duplicate what has already been found.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 July 12 19:55 BST (UK) »
PB,

I think your suggestion that i should consolidate all the findings is an excellent one.  I had completely mislaid and if I'm totally honest, forgotten about the previous posts re. Amy and children traveling to the UK in 1934.

However, the death for an Amy L. Gibbons b. 1886 for Sept 1948 Birkenhead Cheshire and one for Gordon Robert b. 1918 for Nov 1987 Birkenhead Cheshire appears to fit with a somewhat scant diary extract and is fresh information for which i am most grateful. 

Yes i agree cosmac it would seem my research should perhaps be more centered in England.

Thank you all.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline MikeMelen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Willing to do look ups for the Comox Valley area
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 July 12 03:23 BST (UK) »
I found a obit on Newspaper Archvies and it says that he is survived by his widow and two children

Dorothy 17 at 1933
Gordon 15 at 1922

Send me your email in a private message and I will send it to you

Mike
Melen - Derby
Storey - Yorkshire, Durham
Clee - Wales
Whitford - London City, Manitoba (Russell)
Meikle - Scotland, Quebec, Ontario

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 18:26 BST (UK) »
Did you find Robert on the 1916 Canadian census?  I can see an Amy L. b. Eng. with 8 month old Dorothy b. Man. but she is with Archibald, b. Eng.? 

Debbie

Is there a surname listed for Archibald?

purlin

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 18:39 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0olu/

1916 census image from Collections Canada
Surname for all was Gibbons

Debbie

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 20:41 BST (UK) »
The plot thickens Debbie, it does seem to be our Amy L. and having daughter Dorothy appears to confirm it.  However, i have Amy L. and Robert T marrying in 1914 in Canada!  I have not come across any records that suggest that they divorced or separated. In fact, on Roberts death the obituary claims he is survived by wife and 2 children!

Thank you for the 1916 census detail. 
Regards purlin