Author Topic: Do you remember Dr Parry of Ward End, B'ham?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Flipster

• RootsChat Member
  • Respice, Adspice, Prospice
    • View Profile
Do you remember Dr Parry of Ward End, B'ham?
« on: Monday 23 May 05 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
wondered if anyone could shed some light on an obituary that was cut out of a paper that I found in a box of letters to my Nan. There is no clue to year or newspaper it is from, so our confusion is over why she had kept this cutting ??? Eyebrows were raised when it came to light as Parry is the surname I was born with but was then adopted...

Anyway, the details are:
"the death took place at his residence, Verona, Alum Rock Road, Ward End on Tuesday, of Dr A E Gordon Parry. The oldest son of Mr and Mrs Atkin E Parry, of Solihull, he was educated at Five Ways Grammar School and graduated at Birmingham University. He also took medical degrees in London.  About six or seven years ago he acquired a practise in Ward End. He was interested in social welfare work, especially among the young, and was a commissioner in the Scouts Movement for Ward End District. He was also an examiner in first aid for the Boys Brigade. Dr Parry, who was 32 years of age, was an enthusiastic golfer, being a memeber of the North Warwickshire Club ans was also a memeber of the Castle Bromwich Flying Club. He was a Freemason, belonging to the Lodge of Hope.  He leaves a widow, a daugher and a little son."

There is also a smaller cutting which gives the address of his parents as Dovehouse Lane, Solihull plus where he was interred - Hampton in Arden Church.

Does anyone remember him or know when this was. 

Flipster
Hackett - Black Country
Shakespeare - Birmingham/Middlesex/Leicestershire
Williams & Millington - Denbighshire
Davies - Rhondda/Black Country
Whittle/Bowen - Black Country
Bradshaw - Birmingham
Millard - Cambs
Smith/SQUELCH! - Birmingham
Peart - Yorkshire
and on and on and on.......