Author Topic: Ricchard Baxter  (Read 6505 times)

Offline nanatrish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Baxter
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 July 12 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all who replied re the connection between Liverpool and the Isle of Man.  This Encourages me to believe that he is the Richard Baxter buried in the Douglas Borough Cemetery in 1909 and of Compton House, Hutchinson Sq in the Isle of Man (Browns Directory of 1894.)

By the bye,  when we purchased our house it was called  Scouse.

I found Richard  in the Hatton Garden Police House. Liverpool in 1871 Census, but after that nothing except for the two entries above.

Another newspaper cutting sent to his brother in NZ (undated),  about his retirement as a noted police detective would indicate that this occurred approx 1887.

He does not appear to have married, (something that happens to a male in nearly every recent generation of this Baxter line), thus making it more difficult to track him down.

His older brother James was also a prominent police detective  in Lancaster.
I am hoping to write a piece about the soldiers, policemen and firemen in the family for my children and grandchildren  and would be grateful for any information .

Thanks everyone

Nanatrish

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ricchard Baxter
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 July 12 22:49 BST (UK) »

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 July 12 22:58 BST (UK) »
he doesn't appear to be in 1891 IoM census - see indices at http://www.iomfhs.im/lawsons/LawsonBMD/census/census_index.html?Submit=Census+Indices

however a Richard Baxter is living at same address as a Phoebe Baxter (in Castletown) in 1901 - a Pheobe Baxter is also buried in Douglas B. Cem a few years after Richard
(see index as per above)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline nanatrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 July 12 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Frances.  I think that this is another Richard Baxter,  His age in this census is about 8 years off.  Nothing I have found indicates that the Phoebe is a relative either - and I suspect that these two people are a couple.

Have not found him in Lancashire either for the 1891 census, will have to keep looking.

Regards

Nanatrish

Offline nanatrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 July 12 08:55 BST (UK) »
Blue

thank you for the contact for the Liverpool Police.  I contacted them about a month ago, but have had nothing back so far.

For someone who was supposed to be a 'top' detective, he is proving to be very elusive.

Nanatrish

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 July 12 15:34 BST (UK) »
have you looked at 1901 census Richard baxter age 52 born Lancashire , Hotel Proprietor Union Hotel 1 Arbory St Castletown
WIFE Phoebe age 47 born kent
Elizabeth WARD dau age 13 born Liverpool
+ servant Mary Kermeen age 12 born Ramsey

Phoebe + Richard are buried in same grave B28 Doug B Cem - MI in loving memory of Richard Baxter late of Liverpool the beloved husband of Phoebe Baxter who died 1st Sep 1909 age 66 years "Peace perfect peace" Also of Phoebe Hannah wife of above who died 26th August 1911 age 57 years

to cap it Phoebe left a will 1911 #178 - formerly of Falcon Cliff Hotel + late of Market Hotel Douglas, widow, petn by William BAXTER 30 South Island Place Brixton London , barman + also obo James Shergold + Thomas Shergold (Thomas in South Africa) James in Liverpool
Will leaves to sisters Fanny Anderson + Elizth Anderson, STEPSON William Baxter + SONS James Shergold + Thomas Shergold - all in equal shares - last 3 jt exors dated 3 Sep 1909

ETA
Mona's Herald;Date: 23 Mar 1898;p7 - Richard Baxter 4 Clarence Terrace applied for a short term licence (granted) + produces certificates of character as a late member of Liverpool police - house had 24 bedrooms + could accomodate 70 !
The funeral notice was in IoM Times 11 Sep 1909 - judging by wreath + his licensed addresses he was a tenant manager for Palace + Derby Castle Co which owned many pubs

There are several other appearances in papers which confirm he was a ex detective sergeant + also associated with Compton house, Hutchinson square

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 July 12 16:50 BST (UK) »
Blue 70    I suspect   you do not  live in the Wirral.  I  understand  the  people  there  refused  to be   in Merseyside !

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 July 12 19:12 BST (UK) »
There's always going to be people who embrace this or that label. Some people would not like you saying "the Wirral" to them it's "Wirral" and no "the" comes into it. The region is Merseyside but Wirral and Merseyside are both used. Sometimes it suits people from Wirral or Cheshire to say they're from Liverpool it's easier to tell people abroad about where you are from. "We're from Liverpool...you know The Beatles...Liverpool and Everton football teams...". A lot of Wirral people are exiled Scousers anyway LOL

Blue

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 July 12 19:28 BST (UK) »
anti Scouse banter is always fun, one only has to think of the old question as to why is the Liver bird chained down ?  - however might be more useful for the antipodean poster if someone with access to ancestry etc could locate one or more of the people I found in the various documents in Manx Museum - I feel I've done my bit but with these names finding Pheobe, + Shergold should be possible