Author Topic: William QUELCH, Born c1838, Kent  (Read 3092 times)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William QUELCH, Born c1838, Kent
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 21:50 BST (UK) »
Deaths in the South Eastern Gazette ........... 2 May 1864 at Ramsgate William QUELCH age 31 and, on the same day, his only son, also William, age 3.

From the same newspaper (dated 10 May 1864) ........ on Sunday week a man named QUELCH, living in the area of Addington Place, was suddenly taken ill and died Tuesday morning.  A child of his died a few days before him and another has died since, his widow soon to become a mother again.

1861 12 Hertford Place, Ramsgate
William QUELCH head mar 28 mariner b.Ash
Tamezon wife 36 b.Ramsgate
Louisa dau 8 b.Cripplegate London
Wm Fred'k son 2m b.Ramsgate
Mary Jane WEST sister unm 24 dressmaker b.Ramsgate
RG9/537 folio 123 page 4

There is a merchant navy record (or two) indexed for a William QUELCH born Kent (1833 Ash) see http://www.familysearch.org and Findmypast which might be useful in establishing when he was actually sailing ???

William QUELCH m Tamzen WEST 1860 at Christchurch, Ramsgate.  Ramsgate Library may well have the registers on film or fiche and do a lookup for you otherwise it is available on Findmypast (pay per view) QUILCH.  So if Louisa was actually William's child and born within 9 months of him being imprisoned 1851/1852 I suppose it could suggest that he was her father thus the absence of a few years and no marriage until 1860 :-\

"Tanzzen" WEST age 20 born Ramsgate was a general servant at 5 Castle Street, St Giles, Cripplegate 1851 census HO107/1525 folio 383 page 44.

1851 18 Longacre, St Martin in the Fields, Middlesex

Robert QUELCH head mar 40 carman b.Ashford Kent
Mary Ann wife 46 b.Ashford Kent
HO107/1482 folio 62 page 35

I'm pretty sure that the birthplaces should actually be Ash and not Ashford ........... Robert dies and she goes on to marry Thomas WALES as found 1871 census.

There's also the trial of a William QUELCH 1848 age 15 who was acquitted for larceny which I expect you've noted in case it is connected?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 22:21 BST (UK) »
The child born posthumously is I think called Frederick William - William Frederick from 1861 is one of the two children who died, he is listed immediately after his father. Ellen Anne is on the page before

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 April 13 11:22 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Casalguidi,

Thank you, and Mabel Bagshawe, for all the information.....I am extremely grateful as a narrative is now beginning to emerge about William QUELCH's life.   However, I have a small problem in terms of sources:

(i)   He is not quoted on the England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892;

(ii)   No mention of him appears in the 19th Century British Library Newspapers; and

(iii)   Findmypast and similar websites are a little beyond my fixed income after subscription to Ancestry.

Nevertheless, I am now happily following up all your leads, especially through the new LDS website, and will report back to you shortly.   Meanwhile, should you come across any other details, or can extend the text of, for instance, the newspaper reports it would be that "eureka" moment.

Thank you so much,

BAC3

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 April 13 11:37 BST (UK) »
(i)   He is not quoted on the England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892;

"Zuelch" ;)

It's often a good idea to omit words that are prone to mistranscription and concentrate on month, year, county, forename etc.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 April 13 11:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I forgot to list The Kent Messenger Archive (South Eastern Gazette) is freely available to UK residents http://www.ukpressonline.co.uk/ukpressonline/?sf=KM

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 April 13 19:47 BST (UK) »
free search on British Newspaper Archives brings up the Kentish Gazette of 10 May 1864, recording the death on 4 May of William Quelch, 31, and also on the same day his only son William, aged 3

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 April 13 11:07 BST (UK) »
I have managed to create a fairly cohesive story for William QUELCH, especially having unravelled Tamzen's  story..........she remained a widow throughout the rest of her life, sometime alongside the two surviving children, Louisa and Frederick William, and was occupied as a Lodging House Keeper.   She died in 1910.  Louisa is, I believe, probably the result of a "Victorian melodrama" (Upstairs Downstairs) and not an early liaison with William QUELCH as she was born in 1853.......William QUELCH had already been sentenced on 01/01/1852 and most probably had been held on remand for a while in 1851.

The 1861 England Census confirms William QUELCH was a Mariner, supporting the LDS record, but I can find no earlier Census entries for him.   LDS confirms his parents were Robert and Mary Ann QUELCH and that he was christened on 22/09/1833 at Ash-next-Sandwich, Kent.

Incidentally, I joined ukpressonline but could not retrieve the references you made, for instance, was there a mention of the cause of death for both William and Wlliam Frederick.....this is most likely due to my rapidly increasing "senior moments" and not the system!!!   I also wonder about the death of Ellen Tanyer (Ann?) who was christened on 11/01/1863.

It has been a complicated story to piece together for my database and, although not complete, nonetheless very rewarding.   Questions still remain.   Who was the William QUELCH acquitted at the Central Criminal Court (Old Bailey) in 1848 and later the same year acquitted at the Middlesex (Clerkenwell) Sessions?   His parents were living in London (1851) though no mention of him.

I am very much indebted for all the help and suggestions and will Acknowledge your assistance in my database.   Any other thoughts you may have would be more than welcome.

BAC3