Author Topic: Which house number?  (Read 2918 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Which house number?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 July 12 12:16 BST (UK) »
Even when you can find house numbers they are often meaningless.  One of my lines lived in the same cottage in Nuneaton for three generations.  This has been proved by looking at deeds, wills and other legal documents.  However the house number and sometimes the street name changed at every census from 1851 to 1901.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BRO64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 July 12 19:58 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all of you.
Frustrating is an understatement!!Oh well looks like ill be going to these streets, the ones still standing that is,and looking at the properties ,not knowing which is the correct one they lived.At least ill be there or there abouts.
              Thanks again.

Offline Graylight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 July 12 13:58 BST (UK) »
Not going to be much help to you but Tregenna Hill is all shops these days. see picture here...
 http://www.cornwallpictures.co.uk/html_st_ives/36.htm

Both sides of the road as far as the library where it becomes Tregenna Place. The library is the building with the tower on the corner.

I have to drive down it with a double decker bus every now and again ;-)

Offline BRO64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 July 12 20:19 BST (UK) »
Dear Graylight, just come back from  beautiful St.Ives after spending a very pleasant week in and around the surrounding areas.Stood on the top of Tregenna Hill wondering which property was "the one".By the way , it wasnt you by any chance causing the massive tail-back  Friday dinner hour because you couldnt turn left into Gabriel street?  :)

Offline Graylight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 July 12 20:30 BST (UK) »
Probably one of my colleagues, I haven't done the open top route for about a month now. That turn isn't meant for double-deckers. Last year the council employed a traffic manager to patrol that corner and 'facilitate traffic movement' - no sign of him this year...cutbacks I expect.

Hope you had a nice week. Stunning place...and the view from the bus station is magnificent. ;)

Offline BRO64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 July 12 20:45 BST (UK) »
Couldnt agree more.Stunning place,very friendly , hospitable people.Could be something to do with the Celtic blood(same as mine).Our first visit,wont be the last!
   Better stop all these nicities,we might get told off.
             Cheers :)