Author Topic: women get the raw deal!  (Read 764 times)

Offline supersan

• RootsChat Senior
  • digging deeper into the past
    • View Profile
women get the raw deal!
« on: Monday 23 May 05 17:39 BST (UK) »
Can somebody please tell me why women always get a raw deal, even when looking for female ancestors it's much harder than locating the men. Basically, once they are old enough to leave their mummies and daddies, you might as well forget trying to find them.
There are some female ancestors i would like to find but if you dont know who they married how do you go about it? any of you veteran searchers got any tips? :-\ Sandra
lambert-north yorkshire, dannatt-lincolnshire, simms-nottingham,cresswell-derbyshire,thwaite-north yorkshire, routledge-cumberland, pearson-durham,pratt-north yorkshire, skipworth-lincolnshire,kirkbride-cumberland, spink-derbyshire, oldfield-north yorkshire, woods- north yorkshire, white- lincolnshire, atkin - lincolnshire, teasdale- north yorkshire, iveson - north yorkshire. this information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: women get the raw deal!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 May 05 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

The only tip I can give you is what I do. I work out roughly the 18th birthday and start searching for a marriage on Free BMD in the general area of birth. If no joy in the area then I expand the search. If I find a marriage, with a wee bit of jiggery pokery you can sort out who the husband will be.

Thats what I do anyway.

Tom
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline supersan

• RootsChat Senior
  • digging deeper into the past
    • View Profile
Re: women get the raw deal!
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 May 05 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

The only tip I can give you is what I do. I work out roughly the 18th birthday and start searching for a marriage on Free BMD in the general area of birth. If no joy in the area then I expand the search. If I find a marriage, with a wee bit of jiggery pokery you can sort out who the husband will be.

Thats what I do anyway.

Tom

Thanks for the tip Tom I'll try that ;) sandra
lambert-north yorkshire, dannatt-lincolnshire, simms-nottingham,cresswell-derbyshire,thwaite-north yorkshire, routledge-cumberland, pearson-durham,pratt-north yorkshire, skipworth-lincolnshire,kirkbride-cumberland, spink-derbyshire, oldfield-north yorkshire, woods- north yorkshire, white- lincolnshire, atkin - lincolnshire, teasdale- north yorkshire, iveson - north yorkshire. this information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk