Author Topic: Mary magennis/mcinness and patrick odocharty  (Read 1815 times)

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Mary magennis/mcinness and patrick odocharty
« on: Tuesday 10 July 12 02:21 BST (UK) »
Dear All
I am trying to find Mary Magennis/McInnes etc and Patrick O'Docharty who were married in Renfrewshire about 1852. I have tried all the spelling variations I can think of for both surnames.
Mary came from Ireland and had been born c 1834 not sure whether Cork or Offaly. Mary and Patrick migrated to Australia on board the Nepaul arriving in Sydney March 15 1855. Mary died at Mt Keira near Wollongong NSW two years later in 1857. I'm not sure of any of Patrick's details. It is possible that two of Mary's brothers Edward and Joseph also migrated to Scotland. At this stage that is only conjecture. I have searched ancestry and some scottish archives to no avail.
Three of Mary's siblings and her mother also migrated to Australia, directly from Ireland. Eliza, Ellen (part of the Irish orphan scheme) and John who travelled with mum Margaret.
Any advice of where I might search next is gratefully accepted.
Regards
Wren

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Mary magennis/mcinness and patrick odocharty
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Wren ,

Have you looked at this ?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYQH-DM2

Can't see any children born in Scotland  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 11:46 BST (UK) »
Scotlandspeople website would seem to have that record on the Old Parish Registers , although there probably won't be any more information  :-\

Catholic Banns & Marriages(SP)
Patrick Docherty / Mary Mcgennis 5th July 1852 Paisley , St. Mirin's

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 12:01 BST (UK) »
FreeCEN website has 1851(transcription) -

Patrick Docherty age 22 , lodger , labourer allum , born Ireland
Nitshill , Abbey(Paisley) , Renfrewshire

ev

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi ev
Thank you. This helps and adds to the information that I have. My next step is to discover how Mary and Patrick came to Scotland. I think their migration is connected to the famine as both appear ot have come from small irish villages.
Your help is much appreciated.
Regards
Wren