Author Topic: Headstone - Carlisle Cemetery - Dent  (Read 2786 times)

Offline lizcat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Headstone - Carlisle Cemetery - Dent
« on: Tuesday 10 July 12 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Don't know if anyone can help but I am wanting to know the transcript on the headstone of Joseph John Dent d 1910 and his wife Charlotte d 1928 who are buried in the same plot in the Richardson St cemetery. I am assuming there is an actual headstone. Have tried to trace family tree further back than these two but am struggling a bit with names and dates and thought this headstone may help. I know the plot is there as it is listed on a website for Carlisle but I gather plot number references aren't on the site.

Hope this is ok to ask here. Many thanks in eager anticipation!

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
Re: Headstone - Carlisle Cemetery - Dent
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 12 00:06 BST (UK) »
Carlisle cemetery is huge.  You really need the plot number which would make it easier to find.  The cemetery office should be able to give you the plot number (not sure whether they charge for this).  You'll get their number from Carlisle City Council website.

Just had a quick look at the 1881 census (it has free access)  Looks like John Joseph was born in about 1854 in Gateshead and Charlotte was born about 1857 in Carlisle.  In 1881 they had 3 children, Adelane, John Joseph and Georgiana and were living in Finkle Street in Carlisle and John Joseph was a french polisher.  Looks like Charlottes mother was living with them and she was called Ann Davidson born 1817 in Perth , Scotland.

Hope that helps
J
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 July 12 10:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - didn't realise Carlisle cemetery would be so big! I do have the info about the respective parents etc but struggling after that so hope a headstone may give even one tiny extra clue.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 July 12 17:29 BST (UK) »
hi

Forgot all about the cemetery records of burials in Carlisle library until I was in today.  Had a look for you and the reference for the burial plot is 3 J 285 and he was buried on 4 April 1910. As I was going past the Cemetery I have taken a photo of the grave, easy to find when you have the reference.  It doesn't give any information.  Just pm me with your email address if you'd like a copy.  I also looked at the death notices for  J J Dent. Not really any info on that either. Notice in Carlisle Patriot on 8 April 1910 just said J J Dent, Auctioneer, 57years  died 1 April 1910 at his home at 11 Brunswick Street.  As he was an auctioneer there may have been an obituary in the newpaper.
He must have been quite successful in business to move from Finkle Street to Brunswick Street.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ANeilCar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 September 13 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Lizcat

I was wanting to know whether you had got anywhere with your searches on Joseph john dent and Charlotte Dent.  I too have got back to that couple but are having difficulty on tracing Joe back further.

N

Offline lizcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 September 13 11:20 BST (UK) »
ANeilCar,

I've still struggled with going much further back with both Joseph and Charlotte. Joseph came from Gateshead and his father was John and a land agent. I have the birth certificate for Joseph which lists Elizabeth as his mother but I have been unable to trace her birth, first and second marriages or death.  From what I think, both parents may have died when Joseph was young as he appears on a census with his grandmother Ann Bell but again I can't find any records of deaths but then again no records of them on the census either.... Similarly I have struggled with Charlotte too. I was on ancestry but have let my membership lapse for now as I hit the brick wall with both sides of my family.

Please let me know if there is anything extra you may have dug up! My late grandmother once said some great, great grandmother or something like that came from Odessa on the Black Sea but I can't find any evidence of that, sadly, although my grandma was not prone to laboratories so who knows????

Regards, Liz

Offline ANeilCar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz

Since our last email I have done a lot of research.  I have traced Charlotte's parents back to Robert and Ann Davidson (nee Dewar),  both born in the Perth area of Scotland in 1811 and 1813 respectively. They were married in Blackford near Perth on 29.05.1831. They had a number of children before crossing the border to Carlisle where Charlotte was born, in early 1851.  Charlotte's date of birth rarely tallies with her age on the census, marriage or death certificates so it has been a bit of detective work but there are many other matches.  Robert and Ann and some of their children are buried in a single plot in Carlisle cemetery.

Neil

Offline lizcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 April 14 11:40 BST (UK) »
FAO ANeilCar - have bit more info 're business and move to Morecambe if you are the same person who has updated tree on Ancestry. Dad knew a bit more and is going to write it down and email it to me in the next few days.

Regards,  Liz