Author Topic: Burial place  (Read 8704 times)

Offline tina68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial place
« on: Wednesday 11 July 12 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm trying to find the grave of my 3xgreatgrand father Hugh O'hara he died January 1871 West Calder . He  was found dead in the street after a heart attack . His wife was Elizabeth Mcdermott , I not sure of the area as most of my family are in the  Lanarkshire area , any idea's would be great thanks ,
         Regards Tina
toner davis purvis purse bussey o'hara collins mcgill

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Burial place
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Tina,

He's buried in West Calder Cemetery, Section A Lair 52, he lived in Brandybraes in West Calder, the Recorder Thomas Thomas (would be Registrar now) arranged the internment, which means that he is buried in a "common" grave, so there is no headstone.   

Can't find anything on his wife Margaret, but she may have re-married.    Did any of the family remain in the West Calder/Uphall area as their are a few mentions.

cheers ....  Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hello again Tina,

the 1871 census, shows Elizabeth aged 33, outside worker, born Ireland, living at 17 Forth Street (The Happy Land) West Calder, with Ann aged 12, born Carluke, Elizabeth aged 11, Carluke, Rose aged 9, Carluke, Mary aged 7, Carluke, Patrick aged 5, Carluke, Bridget aged 3, West Calder and Hugh aged 1, West Calder.  Seems the majority of the children were born in Carluke.  They lived in Mayfield Row in Carluke, on one side of them was Cornelius O'Neil and family and with them they had boarding James Hanlon and family.   The Hanlons also came to West Calder.

I've photographed Section A as part of my ongoing project photographing all remaining headstones in West Calder Cemetery, and there is no stone, but I know roughly where A52 is, when next up, I'll take a wider shot of the area, Section is the top right hand square as you walk through the cemetery gates, and take the path right in front of you!!  Anything else I can help with give me a shout.

cheers ......  Meg

Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline tina68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Meg,
Thank you so much , I've had a hard time with Hugh and family can't find Hugh birth place or his parents but I do know that Elizabeth and the children went back to Carluke , in the 1901 census Elizabeth had not remarried . My greatgrand mother was Elizabeth b1858 she married David Purvis in Johnstone in 1878 . 
I know that trying to find family in Ireland is difficult but I've learnt to be patient ,  just recently I have had photo's of my greatgrandfather Owen Toner and family sent to me from a newly found cousin in Canada . I was so moved because I thought I would never find where he was born never mind a photo.
   Thanks again for help
   Regards Tina

Offline tina68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi again Meg,
A photo would be brilliant as I live in Yorkshire not sure when I will be up . If you ever need help in Sheffield South Yorkshire I'll be glad to help .
   Cheers Tina

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 July 12 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Tina,

Elizabeth died in Shotts in 1902, DC states she was the widow of Henry Hammall and Hugh O'Hara, so she remarried at some time, sadly no parents names on the cert.

Attaching it here for you.  I'll look after work to see when she married again.

cheers .....  Meg

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 July 12 13:00 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth died in Shotts in 1902, DC states she was the widow of Henry Hammall and Hugh O'Hara, so she remarried at some time, sadly no parents names on the cert.

As she remarried after Hugh's death, her second marriage certificate should give her parents' names.

The birth certificates of her O'Hara children will tell you the date and place of her marriage to Hugh O'Hara.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 July 12 13:56 BST (UK) »
Don't know if it's her but an Elizabeth McDermott married Henry H*m***l Bathgate 1873.

Hi Tina,I remember the Toner hunt,great you now have a photo.

By the way,tell me,what division are the Blades playing in next season,I can't quite remember ;D
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 July 12 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.

The 1881 census has Elizabeth O'Hara, widow, at 92 Omoa Square with Mary, Patrick, Bridget and Hugh. So it looks as if the marriage to Henry Hammall wasn't a lasting success. Could he be one of the two named H*y H*m*l aged over 30 who died between 1873 and 1880?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.