Author Topic: Look up request of marriage in st cuthberts carlisle 27th November 1773  (Read 508 times)

Offline kay727

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up request of marriage in st cuthberts carlisle 27th November 1773
« on: Wednesday 11 July 12 21:21 BST (UK) »
Margaret Wilson to Ralph Surtees, st cuthberts church, carlisle 27th November 1773. A lot of baptisms of children seem to be centred in Wetherall so presume this is where they came from. Siblings also seem to be centred later around Alston. If anyone comes across transcript, because all online ones I have found have no records of bride and grooms parents. Both 22 and both born 1751. Another record of marriage stating location as surefix and 20th november 1773, curiously. Thanks.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request of marriage in st cuthberts carlisle 27th November 1773
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 12 00:09 BST (UK) »
because all online ones I have found have no records of bride and grooms parents

Fathers names were not shown on marriage entries prior to 1.7.1837 which is the date when Civil Registration was introduced.  Mothers names are never shown on English marriage certs

All you will get will be on the lines of the following - some of which you may already know

Names, date and venue

Spinster/bachelor - or widow/widower

Of this parish (OTP) - does not necessarily mean they were both born in that parish - just that they satisfied the short residential qualifying time required to enable them to marry there (approx 3wks)

The name and signature of the person marrying them plus the signatures of the 2 witnesses (occasionally more than 2 witnesses but not usual)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline kay727

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request of marriage in st cuthberts carlisle 27th November 1773
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 July 12 05:33 BST (UK) »
Yes I do have all that, but thanks for the advice. I just cant seem to get any further however far I look. I have three possible baptisms for her and only one possible for him in houghton le hope, going by the date given. Unlike lancashire cumberland has not really put parish records online. I have managed to build up a possible picture of their offspring and possible siblings via wetheral baptisms though, bearing in mind people were not so mobile then.