Author Topic: ATHY Blakeney, Walker, Moran, Keogh/Kehoe, Connor  (Read 10488 times)

Offline Djv1015

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ATHY Blakeney, Walker, Moran, Keogh/Kehoe, Connor
« on: Thursday 12 July 12 07:21 BST (UK) »
James Blakeney & Bidy Walker were married in Athy on 14 Jan 1780.

The marriage record does not list their parents. Who were their parents?

Is Biddy Walker the mother listed in the following baptismal records as Bridget & Anne?

Peter Blakeney was baptized in Athy on 15 Jul 1781 to James Blakeney & Bridget Unknown
Michael Blakney was baptized in Athy on 4 Sep 1785 to James Blakeny & Anne Unknown
Hugh Blakeny was baptized in Athy on 17 Feb 1788 to James Blakeny
Mary Blackney was baptized in Athy on 27 Mar 1791 to James Blackney & Anne Unknown
James Blakeny was baptized in Athy on 11 Jun 1793 to James Blakeny & Anne Unknown

Would anyone have marriage or death information for Hugh Blakeney b. 1788?

I believe his wife was Catherine Moran, but don't know when or where she was born. Neither do I know their marriage date or location.

I do know that Hugh & Catherine had at least 5 children born to them in Athy.  Michael b. 1822, 
Margaret b. 1825 (Spring Lodge), Hugh b. 1827, Mary b. 1829 and Patt b. 1832.

Although I can't find a baptismal record, I think James was born to Hugh & Catherine in 1814 or 1815.

Hugh Blakeney b. 1827 & wife Mary Kehoe are buried at Old Calvary Cemetery, Hall Street, Dallas, Texas.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GScid=2184411&GRid=64272129&

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=65050403

James Blakeney (brother) is also buried there.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Blakeney&GSiman=1&GScid=2184411&GRid=65050026&

Are there any Blakeney's buried in an Athy cemetery?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: ATHY Blakeney, Walker, Moran, Keogh/Kehoe, Connor
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 12 10:09 BST (UK) »
Biddy is short for Bridget, so that fits for the baptism for Peter. Dont think Bridget was was shorted to Anne though... maybe a second marriage for your James or a separate Blakeney family ?

You didn't mention a denomination, where your Blakeneys Church of Ireland or RC ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Djv1015

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 July 12 19:27 BST (UK) »
The Blakeney records I have all indicated RC.

Would Anne be a middle name for Bridget?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 July 12 15:59 BST (UK) »
Anne could possibly have been a baptismal name... but I think it's possibly more likely that James married a second time. Death's during childbirth were quite common back then...

Records for Athy parish go back quite early for RC records, to 1753 for both baptisms and marriages. However there are significant gaps in these - possibly missing or damaged pages....

e.g. for baptisms there are gaps between April 1797 and August 1803, and another between July 1812 and June 1815.

I presume you've already accessed the transcripts for the parish on RootsIreland ?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Djv1015

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 July 12 20:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response.

I have been using the rootsireland site and have searched for all marriages in Kildare for Blakeneys.  I have obtained all 5 of those records.  I just searched for Blakeney marriages in all other counties which resulted in 114 records.  I still did not find a marriage in the range between 1781 - 1785.  Perhaps its one of those record gaps. 

I will be visiting Athy on 26 July 2012.  Any suggestions or ideas that we should consider that might reveal additional information?

Thanks again,

Jean

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 July 12 10:52 BST (UK) »
I just searched for Blakeney marriages in all other counties which resulted in 114 records.  I still did not find a marriage in the range between 1781 - 1785.  Perhaps its one of those record gaps. 

I will be visiting Athy on 26 July 2012.  Any suggestions or ideas that we should consider that might reveal additional information?

It's important to remember that a) not all surviving records are online e.g. no RC records for neighbouring county Carlow are on RootsIreland and b) not all parishes have records back as far as the dates you need for that marriage...

Not sure what type of additional details you are interested in searching for - you've already managed to get back to quite early dates. Few people manage to trace with certainty back before 1800... the average starting date for rural RC parish records is about 1830.

If you want to try following up on Parish records then the best place to try is the National Library in Dublin, as they have films of the RC records for most parishes. See this map on the Irish Times website which details of the details of dates available, film numbers etc : RC Parishes 

I haven't come across any details on Athy cemeteries, but maybe a local library would have some. Most of these are transcripts of memorial inscriptions rather than death/burial records since few RC parish records include deaths, but would be worth checking to see if any Blakneys as mentioned.

Just wondering about the location you mention above in the 1st post for Margaret's baptism in 1825 of 'Spring Lodge' - that doesn't seem to be the name of a townland. Have you come across any other clues on this ?

Do any of the other records you've located mention a more detailed location than Athy parish ?

Quite a bit later than the records you've mentioned ... Griffith's valuation has three listings for the surname Blakney in Co. Kildare

1. Michael Blakney (occupier), Chapel St., Athy
   2. Anastasia Blakney (lessor), Leinster St. Athy
   3. Hugh Blakney (occupier), Ardee townland, Ardree civil parish

These particular valuations are dated 1852. Ardree civil parish is on the border with Co. Laois and adjacent to the civil parish of St. Michael's, which is one of the civil parishes for Athy town. The other two being St. John's and Churchtown. If any of your Blakneys lived outside the town, i.e. in agricultural area then it might be worth checking for them in Tithe records. These record similar details to Griffith's but date to about 25 years earlier. Some of these are included on Ancestry.com, but coverage doesn't seem to be complete and the transcipts they have dont show the full details.

see : Blakney, Co. Kildare

p.s. there seems to be another person here on RootsChat searching for Blakney/Blakeney family in Athy - see : link

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Djv1015

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 July 12 07:20 BST (UK) »
The baptismal record for Michael Blakney born 1822 lists address as Ardree , sponsors Patt Moran & Margaret Moran.

The baptismal record for Margaret Blakney born 1825 list address as Spring Lodge, sponsors James Toole and Catherine Beacon.

http://athyeyeonthepast.blogspot.com/1998_12_01_archive.html

The baptismal record for Hugh Blackney born 1827 does not list an address , sponsors James Lawlor and Sarah Lawlor.
The baptismal record for Mary Blakeny born 1829 does not list an address, sponsors John Moran and Peggy Moran.
The baptismal record for Patt Blakeny born 1832 does not list an address, sponsors David Braddish and Mary Moran.

Immigration records for Hugh Blakeney born 1827 show an arrival date of 24 Apr 1857, so the 1852 Griffith's Valuation for Hugh Blakney (occupier), Ardee townland, Ardree civil parish could be for Hugh born 1827 or his father born 1788.

The baptismal record for Hugh Blakeney born 1788 list address as Athy, sponsors Pat Nowles & Margaret Dillon.

The baptismal record for Joseph Blakeney born 1856 list address as Ardree, sponsors Thomas Keogh & Catherine Bradley.

The baptismal record for Bridget Blakeney born 1853 list address as Stanhope Street, sponsors James Lawlor & Margaret Kiely.

Anastacia Blackeny b. 1850 to George Blackeny & Mary Anne Fisher. Not sure where George Blakeney fits in?

Michael Blakeney & Rose Doyle were married in 1838 in Athy

Thanks for the 1852 Griffith's Valuation records. The map shows Spring Lodge south of Ardree.

I am pleased to have found so much information online thus far. I will check record on ancestry.

Thanks for your help!

Jean

Offline ardree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 September 12 16:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Jean,

In reply to your queries on Hugh Blakeny, Ardree there is a grave stone in Ardree graveyard (off Carlow/ athy rd: outside of Athy) Hugh Blakeny ardree died 10th May 1850 aged 58 years. His wife Catherine Blakeny died 14th March 1876 aged 83 years, also his son michael died 16th December 1850 aged 28 years.

Hugh Blakeny's sister Mary was married to Matthew Wall (Matt) in circa 1824 and their son Patrick Wall is my great grand father.

It would be great to hear from you.

Elizabeth and Eilish

Offline Djv1015

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 September 12 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Elizabeth & Eilish,
I was so happy to see your post.  Thank you for offering the information on Hugh Blakeney & Catherine Moran Blakeney.  My daughter and I visited Ireland this last July. We spent a morning in Athy on our drive to Youghal.  We had such a lovely time.  I wish I had known about the cemetery in Ardree.  We definitely would have taken a few pictures of Hugh and Catherine’s gravestone and searched around for the gravestones of James Blakeney (Hugh’s father) and his wife Anne.

Do you live in Co. Kildare?

You mentioned that Patrick Wall was your great grandfather. He was the son of Matthew Wall and Mary Blakeney (born 1791). Mary’s father was James Blakeney.  Would you happen to know when Mary Blakeney Wall died or when/where Hugh Blakeney & Catherine Moran were married?

I am the 4th Great-Granddaughter of James Blakeney.
I was born in Austin, Texas in 1959.
My mother was born in Dallas, Texas in 1927.
Her mother, Kathleen Angela Blakeney was born in Dallas, Texas in 1892.
Her father, Hugh J. Blakeney was born in Boston, Massachusetts in 1862.
His father, Hugh Blakeney was baptized in Athy parish in 1827. He married Mary Kehoe of Athy in Athy. He is buried in Dallas.
His father, Hugh Blakeney was baptized in Athy parish in 1788.  He married Catherine Moran.
His father is James Blakeney.  His mother is Anne.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Jean