Author Topic: Can't find a trace of a marriage  (Read 4233 times)

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find a trace of a marriage
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 July 12 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is a marriage for

James Slamen and Catharine McTamny in Maghera Londonderry on 30th October 1868.
 His father is given as Michael Slamen.

Familysearch

Heather

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 July 12 09:16 BST (UK) »
I know that my great-great-grandmother was Kate Slyman, born in Liverpool around 1870 and of Irish descent. 

I have a birth record and an 1871 census record that I'm hoping are her, but can't prove just yet. 

The birth record is for a Kate Slyman born in September 1870, parents listed as James Slyman (laborer) and Anne Troy, living on Milton Street. 

The census record lists James (laborer) and Johanna Sleaman, both born in Ireland, with a baby Catherine and a 3-year-old Mary, both born in Liverpool.  They are living on Johnson Street, which is just a few blocks from Milton. 

Sorry can't help with the marriage of James Sleaman & Johanna (Anne)

Do you have a marriage for your great-great-grandmother Kate Slyman?

Looking at the 1871 census you mention with James , Johannah, Mary & Catherine Sleaman RG10; Piece: 3771; Folio: 26; Page: 45 there’s also a lodger in the same Butler household named Edward Troy 21 (1850) Ireland Labourer
Could be Johannah’s brother

this may be Edward & Johannah (Anne) Troy with their parents & siblings

1861 RG 9; Piece: 2660; Folio: 66; Page: 14
42 Milton Street Liverpool
Christopher TROY 36 Shoemaker
Mary 34
Bridget 16
Annie 14
Edward 12
All born  Ireland

1881 RG11; Piece: 3630; Folio: 137; Page: 15;
31 Circus Street Liverpool
Edward Troy 30 Ireland Sugar House Labourer married Mary Anne
Children Mary Agnes, Rose Anne, Edward John & Elizabeth
All others born Liverpool

1891 census RG12; Piece: 2902; Folio: 24; Page: 42
61 Raymond Street
Edward’s pob Waterford Ireland Gen. Labourer, 2 more children Catherine & Christopher

1901 RG13; Piece: 3413; Folio: 35; Page: 17
Edward & Mary have 2 more children Isabella & Christina

If that is Annie on the 1861 census looks more than likely they married in England and possibly it was a Roman Catholic marriage

here's an RC  bapt for one of Edward's children
Isabella Troy born 19 Jan 1892 Bapt 3 Feb 1892 Parish: St Anthony´s
Father's Name: Eduardi Troy Mother's name: Mariae Annae Blake

On FreeBMD & Lancashire BMD/OPC - I couldn't see Edward & Mary Ann's marriage entry either  ??? but their daughter Mary Troy married 25/2/1895 St Alban Bevington Liverpool

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 July 12 09:55 BST (UK) »
Good work Ladyhawk...now you have given us that info ...if you go to
www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk
click on Liverpool Roman Catholic Marriages
put in surname Troy
1837 - 1901 ...there are 14 marriages registered ...one of them is Rose Anne who you mentioned in the 1881 census....
there is also a Baptism for Roman Catholic in Liverpool link as well on that site...it will take a while to go through the marriages and baptisms , but it will be very interesting and maybe there is some family for Rob to research

allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline RobMcF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 July 12 10:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry can't help with the marriage of James Sleaman & Johanna (Anne)

Do you have a marriage for your great-great-grandmother Kate Slyman?

Looking at the 1871 census you mention with James , Johannah, Mary & Catherine Sleaman RG10; Piece: 3771; Folio: 26; Page: 45 there’s also a lodger in the same Butler household named Edward Troy 21 (1850) Ireland Labourer
Could be Johannah’s brother

Great stuff, thank you.  When I first viewed that census record, I hadn't yet known of the surname Troy and it hadn't occurred to me to look at the other members of that household since.  We should call you Ladyhawk-eye.

I have a RC church record for the marriage of Kate Slyman in 1903 in Co. Mayo.  For reasons unknown, there is no civil record.  I checked with the GRO on that because I had the date and district and everything, and they said they checked the original registers and didn't have the record.  Seems to be a trend with this family...

In the 1901 Irish census, Kate Slyman was living with her cousin Thomas Concannon in Mayo (written "Slymon").  In 1911, she is Kate Corcoran and has three kids with her husband Michael (DED of Kilcommon, townland of Annefield).  Thomas Concannon is living with her in 1911.  The 1911 census gives her birthplace as Liverpool and family sources told me she was from England.

So, really, my primary objective at this point is to somehow connect the Kate Slyman in Mayo, Ireland in 1901 with the Kate Slyman who was born to James and Anne/Johannah in Liverpool.  The original hope was that Anne's maiden name would be Concannon, how nice would that have been?  But Troy is completely new to me.

Other than Concannon, the only other surnames I have associated with Kate Slyman are Mullahy and Nolan, who were sponsors at the baptisms of her children.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 July 12 19:56 BST (UK) »

I have a RC church record for the marriage of Kate Slyman in 1903 in Co. Mayo. 

In the 1901 Irish census, Kate Slyman was living with her cousin Thomas Concannon in Mayo (written "Slymon").

In 1911, she is Kate Corcoran and has three kids with her husband Michael (DED of Kilcommon, townland of Annefield).  Thomas Concannon is living with her in 1911.  The 1911 census gives her birthplace as Liverpool and family sources told me she was from England.

So, really, my primary objective at this point is to somehow connect the Kate Slyman in Mayo, Ireland in 1901 with the Kate Slyman who was born to James and Anne/Johannah in Liverpool. 

Looking at the Irish census with Michael & Katherine Cororcan and their children named Mary, Patrick & Bridget - do you think one of the girls could be named after her mother?

I have found this 1871 census living Lancashire there's a Kate's Sloman age 1 although pob is dittoed as Roscommon Ireland
may just be a coincidence but mother & sisters named Bridget & Mary & brother Patrick  :-\

1871 RG10; Piece: 4138; Folio: 87; Page: 8
Newhallbey Bridge Lancashire
Michael Sloman 38 Roscommon Ireland Labourer
Bridget 46
Patrick 14 Cotton operative
Thomas 8
Mary 13 Cotton spinner
Bridget 10 “         “
KATE 1 (1870)
Everyone apart from Michael has been dittoed as born Ireland Roscommon

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobMcF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 July 12 16:21 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Irish census with Michael & Katherine Cororcan and their children named Mary, Patrick & Bridget - do you think one of the girls could be named after her mother?

I have found this 1871 census living Lancashire there's a Kate's Sloman age 1 although pob is dittoed as Roscommon Ireland
may just be a coincidence but mother & sisters named Bridget & Mary & brother Patrick  :-\

1871 RG10; Piece: 4138; Folio: 87; Page: 8
Newhallbey Bridge Lancashire
Michael Sloman 38 Roscommon Ireland Labourer
Bridget 46
Patrick 14 Cotton operative
Thomas 8
Mary 13 Cotton spinner
Bridget 10 “         “
KATE 1 (1870)
Everyone apart from Michael has been dittoed as born Ireland Roscommon

Certainly another one to consider, though I'd think Sloman would be a less likely spelling of Slyman.  Sleaman and Slyman could be pronounced the same, but I don't see it with Sloman.  Still, you never know.  Best to take a look.

The names are all so common.  Sometimes it feels like my entire family tree is made up of five or six names.

Offline joflowo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I have mysterious Troy in my family too, they came from Ireland,and somewhere along the . line changed their name from Troy to Troy Heritage , we have Thomas Troy  and Richard  Troy both had heritage as their surname,there was a few that went to America, they were lacemakers and I have found the ship they went on, any other information would be greatly appreciated as I really would love to find out why . they changed their name ,thank you UP x