Author Topic: Pendry Family  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Shelaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rocky Mountain Girl
    • View Profile
Pendry Family
« on: Monday 23 May 05 20:50 BST (UK) »
Anyone researching the Pendry family from Monmouth? Is there a good site documenting name changes? There is some speculation that the Pendry name came from Henry but I'd like to know how to find out. Thanks,
Sheila
Penry
Pendry
Osborne
Ward
Dishman/Du Chemin
Baylis

Offline vivroots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pendry Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 05 23:22 BST (UK) »
'The Surnames of Wales' by John and Sheila Rowlands suggests that Parry and Penry may have derived from Harry and Henry by way of 'ap Harry' and 'ap Henry', where ap means 'son of'. 

Apparently Hendry has been found as a mis-spelling of Henry so Pendry could be ap Hendry, although another book of surnames has given pen(y)dref - top end of town- as a possible source for this name.

Viv Pyner (ap Yner?)
Monmouth 1871 co-ordinator for FreeCEN
free census indexes project
http://freecen.rootsweb.com/
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
][/color]

Offline Shelaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rocky Mountain Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 03:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Viv for the book information. I will try to get it from our local library and have a read through this summer. The info makes a lot of sense to me.
Sheila
Penry
Pendry
Osborne
Ward
Dishman/Du Chemin
Baylis

Offline Sean EC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 June 05 20:43 BST (UK) »
I am researching Pendry's from Hereford, Worcester area.
My family moved from there in about 1840, They were born in about 1820 in Hereford, but this is where I cannot connect further, if you are able to help and we could share any information I would be very interested.

Offline Shelaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rocky Mountain Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 June 05 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sean,
I'm very busy with work at the moment but will check my records for any connections in July. Presently I can't think of any as my line came from Wales to USA then on to Canada. Pendry is considered a Welsh name and many have moved from there.
I'll be in touch.
Sheila
Penry
Pendry
Osborne
Ward
Dishman/Du Chemin
Baylis

Offline RDP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 June 06 17:26 BST (UK) »
Pendry could equally well be a Cornish name. The old rhyme "Tre Pol and Pen spell the names of Cornish men" has some truth to it. I am connected to the Pendrys of Berkshire, who date back at least as far as the 1730's with no sign of roots in either Wales or Cornwall! There are clusters of Pendrys in Wales, Cornwall, Herefordshire, and Berkshire/Buckinghamshire as far back as the C17th. To confuse the issue still further, I know at least one branch of my family that moved to Monmouth FROM the London area in the 1800s!

Spellings of Pendry prior to the mid 1800s vary enormously and tend to be phonetic. Even my gg-grandparents signed their Marriage Certificate with an X. This is because very few ordinary folk were literate and it was up to the person filling in the parish registers to decided how to spell it based purely on what they heard. What they heard also depended upon the local accent.

I have seen Pendry, Pendery, Pendrey, Pendray, Pendrie, Pendree, Pendrigh, Pandry, Pindrie, etc. etc.!