Author Topic: Pitts, Winder & Hollingsworth connections  (Read 1946 times)

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pitts, Winder & Hollingsworth connections
« on: Monday 16 July 12 22:27 BST (UK) »
Thomas Hollingsworth (born in Ware, 1738; died in Tottenham, 1795) married Elizabeth Winder at St Botolph's without Bishopsgate in the city of London - 8 October 1765. (They were my 6x great-grandparents)

Elizabeth was described - at the time of their marriage - as a 'spinster of St Peter le Poor'. So, I initially thought that she was from London.

It does now seem that she (or her parents) also came from Hertfordshire. An online search of the National Archives throws up several references to an Elizabeth Winder. There is a reference to someone of that name inheriting land in the 'manor of Marshalls, Youngs and Sutes' - as the grandaughter of John Pitts. As these records are in Hertfordshire I presume that these lands were in that county.

Another document refers to 'Elizabeth Winder now having married Thos {Thomas?} Hollingsworth' and then there is a mention of 'Thomas and Wm {William?} Hollingsworth (sons of the late Eliz {Elizabeth?} Winder)'.

I can see that she gave birth to a Samuel in 1766, and to twins - Jemima and William - in 1767. Maybe the reference to another Thomas is an error, as I can't see how she could have had any more children during her short marriage (Oct 1765 - c 1768).

Thomas does appear to have re-married, again in London, in 1768 but I am not sure when or where Elizabeth died.

Any help or ideas about what these links might show would greatly appreciated - particularly any suggestions about where these fields (which they presumably were) might be and who John Pitts might have been.
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Pitts, Winder & Hollingsworth connections
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

HALS Hertfordshire Archive Library Service (HALS Online Names)
carries (amongst others) . . . . .

(Parish of) Standon = 16th-18th centuries
Manors of Marshalls, Youngs, Sutes and Standon, Wadesmill and Thundridge, Barwick, Mentley Colliers End; land Property etc. in those manors.

There is also a huge number of entries re Hollingsworth including an early 1800s brewer William

Regards

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).