Author Topic: Hawthornhill farm  (Read 2451 times)

Offline ikonos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hawthornhill farm
« on: Tuesday 17 July 12 19:49 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone knew what happened to hawthornhill hill farm and the land that used to go with the farm.

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hawthornhill farm
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi ikonos,

Hawthornhill Farm no longer exists.  It was demolished in the early 1950's and most of the farmland subsequently used for housing.  In the 50's and early 60's, Dumbarton Burgh built the Castlehill Housing Estate.  In the 70's, the SSHA (Scottish Special Housing Association) built additional houses to the NE of the original farm buildings site, and I think a private developer completed a small development to the NW (Hazel Avenue).  During the 1980's, Bovis constructed their Hawthornhill private housing development to the west and south of the steading site, their eastern boundary being the west side of the original access track to the farm leading off the A814, Cardross Road.  Subsequently in the late 1990's up to about 2010, Persimmon built more housing to the west of the Bovis site.

The field which would have lain between Hawthornhill Farm buildings now contains a five-aside football pitch, a Church, and I think a sewage pumping station on the main sewer running from Dalmoak to the STW at Havoc.

If you Google "Hawthornhill Farm" Dumbarton you will get more about the history of the farm.

The mapping section at the NLS has good coverage of the area, and the various developments can be identified on Google Earth

Regards,

Istrice

Offline ikonos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 21:43 BST (UK) »
thanks for the info, i have found on the census that james macdonald used to be a tennant/occupier of the farm, and by valuation search, the land was owned by robert bontine cunninghame graham, ardoch per bonar, hunter & johnstone, 15 hill street, edinburgh,.

I actually stay up along from the five a side, what i am looking for is who owns the parks now, is it still cunninghame graham (descedants) or did he sell the land off back in the 1950's and where would I find this information out.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 21:54 BST (UK) »
R.B.C.G (Don Roberto) never had any descendants. Did the land go to Admiral Cunninghame Graham?

Skoosh.

Offline ikonos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 22:10 BST (UK) »
according to wikipedia yes it was passed to admiral cunninghame grahame but not sure what happened to it after that, wheter the family still own the land or was it transferred/sold,  the reason i am asking is the the fields across the road from me - grass is 4ft high and growing, council advise it is not theirs and not responsible, and  I would like to maintain the grass level.  and in the meantime find more out about this area.