Author Topic: William Fraser 1782-1849 Invernesshire  (Read 5591 times)

Offline Harper 7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Fraser 1782-1849 Invernesshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 July 12 15:12 BST (UK) »
Wow!  You guys are good!  Thanks.  I will try to figure all that out (8am here).  I appreciate your help!  This is all funny because I was adopted and didnt know anything about my fathers line (this line) until a few days ago....and I just got back from Scotland three weeks ago!!!  I wish I had known then, I could have poked around...and spent more time in Inverness, which I loved.  Im hoping to be able to trace this line back past Culloden as I felt some kind of strange pull to that place.  So thanks for the help!
Cowie, MacBean, Fraser, MacIntosh, Harper, McGlashan, McGillivray, Cameron, Doyle, Griffin

Offline Harper 7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 July 12 16:03 BST (UK) »
Brevitas, I have a marriage date of 6 Feb 1834 in Inverness.  I am confused by the 1841 census you posted.  So it looks like Duncan lived with grandma and grandpa for a while?  (This is complicated). 

Now onto processing the McGlashen part. lol
Cowie, MacBean, Fraser, MacIntosh, Harper, McGlashan, McGillivray, Cameron, Doyle, Griffin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 July 12 16:10 BST (UK) »
They were living close together in Glenbeg so maybe young Duncan was with his grandparents while Mary looked after the new baby or something. It wasn't all that strange to find one or more grandchildren with the grandparents.

I've been looking at McGlashans - quite a lot around Dalcross and Ardersier (now close to where Inverness airport is) which are not far from Culloden and D & D.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Harper 7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 05:56 BST (UK) »
Can you all share with me where you are getting all this census info?  I can see some of it on familysearch but it doesnt show you all the other ppl in the household (or I dont know how to look at the actual document).  This is very confusing.  I am not actually sure of the names of all those children.  I do know that mary, james and catherine are correct because they were mentioned in James' obituary. 

Thanks for all your help!

Offline lestree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 August 23 13:24 BST (UK) »
I am also chasing this line and struggling over the McGlashan/Fraser issue.
I am the great great granddaughter of Donald Fraser (1826-1901) through my mother. Donald was the brother of Mary McBean, born Fraser (1814-1888). There were ten children of William Fraser (1782-1850) and Margaret McIntosh (1782-1857)
I did see a record of a William McGlashan marrying Margaret Fraser (born McIntosh), will look for it again as I can't remember the date. could they have remarried under her married surname and his alias??? I have a solid gold wedding band from my late mothers jewelry that she never knew where it came from, perhaps a new ring for the second wedding. It is a double band merging underneath to a single band. Just tossing around some crazy thoughts lol. 

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 August 23 22:49 BST (UK) »
Im new to this but have been looking on ancestry and cant seem to get past these two people.
See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.