Author Topic: Ancestry vs Find My Past  (Read 8881 times)

Offline baggygenes

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry vs Find My Past
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 July 12 20:26 BST (UK) »
Personally like the layout of the results on FindMyPast compared to Ancestry  and not having to fiddle about with dropdown checking this area only and exacts etc so I don't get a load of results that don't match what I entered  but Ancestry will accept wildcards more easily and I do like looking through the trees.

I think its generally agreed there are pros and cons to both sites and some will prefer one to the other. The original question was really whether its worth having both.  I think both sites subscriptions are expensive (and yes understandably so if we want new records to appear and for the sites to run well - better get that in quick) but I guess that is relative to what you can afford and I for one have certainly had my moneys worth out of both of them.
If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people. (Thich Nhat Hanh)

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 20 July 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
Until yesterday, I've only used FindMyPast for the free 1911 during the World Cup and I used the indeces from FindMyPast and the 1911 official site combined to glean information to then narrow searches down to find them in the census summary books on Ancestry (before the transcriptions were online). I found this cheat to be very helpful, as I could use name of head of household to determine number of occupants.

I did join last night. I couldn't find the voucher code box and ended up buying it at the full price, thinking the voucher code would come up on the next page. However, when I complained they insisted it had been there, but gave me a refund of the 10%.

Up to now, I doubt I'll keep it beyond the year, as I've got quite adept at creative wildcard searching on Ancestry and I can usually find the census returns I need. Ancestry is far superior for Lancashire church records & directories, especially Liverpool. I like Ancestry seach engine and that I can search counties on a full site search & get a summary of all datasets in one search. However, It was good to get a proper scan of my GGGG uncle's army discharge papers of 1834 (which I bought from the NA years ago, but as a black & white photocopy - now I have a colour scan). It has also been amazing to get my partner's uncle's photo (who was a merchant sailor, drowned in 1940) and grandfather from Africa who he never met. So the merchant navy and armed forces datasets are nice to have, if only for a year.
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Clausen; Denmark, Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Marshall, Rimmer, Howard, Johnson, Jackson; Southport
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Small; Barbados, Liverpool
Murray; West Indies, Liverpool
Williams; Africa, Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline hobbit_49635

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 August 12 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

If you want to join FindMyPast time in the following code "fmp10" for 10% off the price.

Hope this helps

Dave

Offline Carly287

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 August 12 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I use Ancestry at my local library,but a friend lets me look on her find my past. I think find my past is better,as its better set out! :)

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 30 August 12 21:58 BST (UK) »
I have both Ancestry and FindMyPast and find both to be extremely useful.

My pet peeve with ancestry is that they present me with stupid 'close matches' when the real 'perfect' match is in a list of thousands of others!

My pet peeve with FindMyPast is that if a census has no match within + or - two years for a particular census, you can't click on the year with 0 matches and tweak the birth year for that year, you have to go back to the modify the initial search .... most frustrating! One with any matches in them, you can modify and re-search, just not those with 0 matches....which are probaly the very ones you want to modify (*rant over*)

Kevin
Ferguson, Stockton-on-Tees
Hollinshead, Stafford/Guisborough
Pratt, Berwick/Newcastle-upon-Tyne
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham
Carlyle, Hexham/Annan Dumfries

Offline baggygenes

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 30 August 12 22:09 BST (UK) »
My FindMyPast ran out yesterday .. can't afford to renew and really I need to see some new resources added for areas of interest to make it worth the £ -  but I'm wondering how long I can hold out without resorting to the credit card
If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people. (Thich Nhat Hanh)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 30 August 12 23:12 BST (UK) »
My pet peeve with ancestry is that they present me with stupid 'close matches' when the real 'perfect' match is in a list of thousands of others!

If you use the old search and ensure you tick exact matches only, you don't get this problem.  You can use soundex or * in the names with exact matches ticked. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 02 September 12 02:05 BST (UK) »
I'm thinking about buying a subscription to Find My Past. Is the 1911 Scotland census available on it? Are there different types of subscriptions? If so, which is the best to purchase?
Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 02 September 12 05:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

Neither Ancestry or FindMyPast have the 1911 Scottish census yet, when they do it is likely that it will only be transcriptions as Scottish census images are only available on Scotlandspeople.

Andy