Author Topic: Anyone going to Wrexham Library?  (Read 2436 times)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
Anyone going to Wrexham Library?
« on: Friday 20 July 12 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi - hoping someone who might be planning a trip to the Wrexham Library sometime soon could maybe look something up for me in the Newspaper Archives?

I am trying to track down one of my great grandfather's brothers - Watkin Griffiths who I believe decided to use his stepfather's surname of Edwards from around 1901 onwards. I have a death certificate for a man who may be my Watkin - down as Edwards but his death certificate informant was the Coroner, so looking for the details of the inquest in the paper to see if it might give me a bit more detail about the man to see if it is my man or not!

Watkin Edwards - died 3rd March 1953 aged 75 - inquest held 1st April 1953. He was of 4 Broxton Terrace, Rhosrobin Road, Rhosddu, Gwersyllt. I do not know if that road exists anymore as I cannot find it using GoogleMaps.

Looking at the Wrexham Advertiser - I know the library newspaper holdings cover 1953 for this paper.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Alex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone going to Wrexham Library?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 12 18:13 BST (UK) »
The name Rhosrobin  Road has been changed to New Road,

http://goo.gl/maps/dLQI

I`m almost certain it this one. The one with the Terrace name on it, you can just make it out if you zoom in.
It is the next to last row of houses as you leave Rhosddu and go into Rhosrobin,
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 12 18:21 BST (UK) »
Watkin Edwards 75 4 Broxton Terrace was buried 7 March 1953 at Wrexham Cemetery.
Edith Edwards  aged 61 also of 4 Broxton Terrace was buried on 21 Dec 1961 in the same grave.
Grave No 13188

Is this any help?

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 12 18:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Wilcoxon - that confirms that I thought he married an Edith West in 1916 in Rhosddu.

Hopefully someone will be heading to Wrexham Library to see if there is a mention of the inquest in the local paper!

Much appreciated!

Alex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 12 19:03 BST (UK) »
The corresponding death for Edith gives her age as 68 rather than 61 - which makes it a little better seeing as I was thinking - blimey she was 16 and he was 39 when they married - this makes it a bit more of a reasonable 23 years old!

That gives her a yob of about 1893 and I have found an Edith West living at 9 Australia Terrace, Trevor, Llangollen in 1911 - which is in the same road as my Watkin was on in 1911 - he is down as W Edwards - place of birth Cefn Canol (even though he was born in Llanfyllin but probably didn't know that as his siblings were born there and he would have lived there since he was a small infant)

So the pieces of the puzzle are coming together a little more and it is looking more likely to be 'my' Watkin.

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 July 12 19:21 BST (UK) »
Now found that Watkin's brother John Allen also went by the name Edwards rather than Griffiths. Will be checking the Wrexham burials for him too just in case!

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 13:15 BST (UK) »
There was an obituary, and looking at the names, it does seem to be the  right man.
The microfilm was in a poor condition, but I`ve managed to make out these names.

Watkin Edwards . Leaves a widow, son and daughter.
Edith Edwards widow, Lena Edwards  daughter, Mr & Mrs Cyril Edwards son and daughter in law, Mr John Allen Edwards brother, Mrs Sa*** Lacey , Mr & Mrs John Davies, Mr & Mrs Edward Davies brother in law and sister in law, Mr & Mrs R Edwards, Misses L & G Edwards all representing Mrs Betty Davies and Mr & Mrs J Mag**ll . Mrs J Parry, Mrs A Davies, Mr & Mrs J Lacey jnr, Mrs W A  Jones, M** Salisbury and Mr Albert West, nephews and nieces. Mr B Willis, Mr *** ert Davies and Mr R Bell representing the Denbighshire Yeomanry Old Comrades  Association.
Mr Cave representing Gwersyllt Silica Brickworks.
Wreaths from Mumsy? and Lena. Cyril, Jean and Philip. John Allen,  Leo and Gwladys. John, Richard, Daisy and Wendy. Bet and David Allen?
Denbighsire Hussars Old Comrades .

Quite a few relations named there for you to work with.

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 13:19 BST (UK) »
Brilliant! Thanks so much for looking that up for me! Definitely more to be going on with!

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 13:24 BST (UK) »
I got a photocopy of the image, and have emailed it to you at the adress on your profile.